Science Forums

Could dragons have existed?

Ayoungnerd

___I seem to recall they grow over 5 feet. :eek:

Komodos grow to 10 feet if I remember correctly. There are several species of monitors that grow to 5 feet or more but they are dwarfed by the Komodo dragon. I believe the water monitors of Sri Lanka come in as the second largest at around 8 feet. They are also referred to as Thunder Dragons.

Actually there is a larger extant lizard that is bigger. The crocodile monitor (V. salvadorii) is about 50% longer. Ther largest recorded Komodo was 10' 2". Ther largest croc. monitor was 15' (With locals describing individuals as large as 19'). They are leaner creatures that actually are primarily arborial (Hence the difficulty is correctly sizing them). Most of this length is comprised of tail, so the most massive lizard still goes to the Komodo, but the croc monitor has him on length.

I am sure dragons existed, and that includes dragons that blew fire. I'm not sure if they looked the same as they do on telivision shows or peoples drawings, or even if they flew. but them existing and breathing fire...I wouldn't doubt it.

The name dinosaur has only been around for a cupple hundred years..and that's not because they where not discovered untill then...before they created the name "dinosaur" they called them dragons.

actualy you might be correct, they breathed some sort of flamable gasses, because why would they have flame come out of the mouth?..I believe that there where dragons that blew fire, but I'm not so sure about flight. I also believe that before dinasours existed, there where dragons.

___If dragons existed, did anyone ride them? Did they have dragon saddles? Dragon bits & spurs & reins. Maybe they couldn't be domesticated & that's why George had to kill them?

___What other legendary beast may have actually lived? The Chimara of lore? Satyrs, Centaurs, etc? Who writes this stuff? :Alien:

This is an interesting belief, what evidence do you have for it? (dragons living before dinasours)
Well..the name "dinasour" was made up in the early-late 1800 (tell me if I'm wrong) meaning -terrible lizard- in greek. before then the word "dinasour" was not even heard of, thus if you told anyone about them, no one would understand what your talking about. before then they where called "dragons"..(which is a true fact). that's why the old king james Bible does not have the word "dinasour" in it...but it has the word "dragon" in it several times. It also discribes (in detail) one animal that matches the discription of the behemoth to the point of no question. and another one that blew fire.

I saw this show, it was very good. I disagree with the complaints that it was misleading people. They say at many times during the show that dragons aren't real and say "but what if...". Anyone who could be fooled by this would be the same people who were fooled when War of the Worlds was played on the radio and started commiting suicide.

Well..the name "dinasour" was made up in the early-late 1800 (tell me if I'm wrong) meaning -terrible lizard- in greek. before then the word "dinasour" was not even heard of, thus if you told anyone about them, no one would understand what your talking about. before then they where called "dragons"..(which is a true fact). that's why the old king james Bible does not have the word "dinasour" in it...but it has the word "dragon" in it several times. It also discribes (in detail) one animal that matches the discription of the behemoth to the point of no question. and another one that blew fire.

That book also has a schizophrenic megalomaniac that talk to bushes (Burkowitz at least found an organism in the same kingdom as him to talk to about killing...), talking snakes, and demons. Obviously a scientific text on which to base the existence of dragons.

That book also has a schizophrenic megalomaniac that talk to bushes (Burkowitz at least found an organism in the same kingdom as him to talk to about killing...), talking snakes, and demons. Obviously a scientific text on which to base the existence of dragons.

Don't forget all of the incest, animal sacrifices, and mutilation. Is this really a book that we want our children reading?

___Here is what just occured to me; in several thousands years (assuming humans still extant), what 'dragons' will we have pushed up through history. That is to say, what form would this discussion take when future folks talk about us as we talk about those past. What might qualify as our Dragon? :Alien: