Science Forums

Your Thoughts :p

I am new to Hypography science forums. My name is Blake McFarland and I am currently enrolled in med. school through Ross medical for my RMA. I am slowly working my way up to a D.O. I will be transferring to MSU, in September for my RN. I made this thread to see what people like about medical science and what aspect of this field intrigues them most. Personally I am intrigued by Virology and Neurology :) I would love to see what others like and have to say.

welcome aboard. :wave2:

i like the basic science research coming from the specialties, but none in particular over another. i also like that it sounds as if you are on a path to general practice because this is a major black hole for patients. i understand the interest in specialties for doctors, especially that it often pays better than general medicine, but from the patients' perspective that rings kinda discordant to what is supposed to motivate a doctor.

here's a little blurb on the current shortage & some of its roots. :read:

Medical Schools Can't Keep Up

The U.S. has 352,908 primary-care doctors now, and the college association estimates that 45,000 more will be needed by 2020. But the number of medical-school students entering family medicine fell more than a quarter between 2002 and 2007. ...

I agree, that ring has become rather distorted. Unfortunately, medicine has become a trap hole for truly devoted practitioners. In one hand we have the desire and ambition to not only aid others in maintaining their general health, but we also desire to ultimately improve the quality of life. On the other hand we are faced with the cost of practice versus the rate of pay for treatment. Both being sensitive and starters for complex arguments, It is of my personal opinion that the art of improving the quality of life is not being distorted by sheer dollar signs, but also by negligence and malpractice lawsuits. If so many people would focus more on their health opposed to a dollar amount they could collect as a result of a medical mishap, we would see a more balanced and fair medical workforce. People forget that medicine is a practice and thusly not fully understood and mistakes are the only way we can learn and improve medical practice.

...It is of my personal opinion that the art of improving the quality of life is not being distorted by sheer dollar signs, but also by negligence and malpractice lawsuits. If so many people would focus more on their health opposed to a dollar amount they could collect as a result of a medical mishap, we would see a more balanced and fair medical workforce. People forget that medicine is a practice and thusly not fully understood and mistakes are the only way we can learn and improve medical practice.

ooopss!! didn't we have 3 sponges nurse?:Nurse: :lol: i think this is something that we could form a better opinion on with some statistical data on the numbers & amounts of lawsuits. as you say it is complex, but the folks in medical need who don't have general practioners aren't getting practiced on at all & so they at least are in no position to file suits. moreover i would venture to guess it is a very few of them who have fraudulent intent. even for the few bent on fraud, where is the failure that lets them get by with it? that's rhetorical the last bit as i don't have a clue. are the doctors not good enough or too overworked to catch fraud? are the doctors in on it? regulations & oversite inadequate? overadequate? regulators in on it? who what where why & how...erhm...how much??? :reallyconfused: :shrug:

anyway, thnx 4 chatting. i'm taking 2 aspirin & hittin' the sack. :night_moon:

I am new to Hypography science forums. My name is ... and I am currently enrolled in med. school through Ross medical for my RMA. I am slowly working my way up to a D.O. I will be transferring to MSU, in September for my RN. I made this thread to see what people like about medical science and what aspect of this field intrigues them most. Personally I am intrigued by Virology and Neurology :) I would love to see what others like and have to say.

Hi Nerdasaurus, I might recommend not giving out your name so quickly on the forums just for safety's sake. Other than that, welcome to Hypography! :)

I studied microbiology and took many classes in immunology, cancer, and a few virology courses as an undergrad. I think neurology--and anything to do with the mind and cognition--is endlessly fascinating. One of my cousins studied neuroscience before he went to medical school. I also spent some time shadowing doctors in high school, because at one time I wanted to do medicine as well.

I totally reversed course. I'm more interested in farming and business now. It's good that you're excited by becoming a doctor and actually love getting into the nitty-gritty of subjects and details. I remember several of the people I worked with in my lab weren't like that and were just interested in trying to become a doctor ASAP for the $$. :) I'm not sure I'd want to be cured by them...

My biggest gripe with medicine currently is that medicine appears less focused on cures and solutions than it is on treatments and drugs. See if you can help reverse that trend. :)

Warm welcomes to you! I am a fan of medical science myself, but only as a layman. I have asthma and have survived it for 40 years. I have come to realize that I was in fact a guinea pig in the 70s. :)

I have read lots of good biographies and history books related to medical science. One of the best was Ether Day by Julie Fenster:

http://www.amazon.com/Ether-Day-Americas-Greatest-Discovery/dp/0060195231

I am also interested in how they use ancient DNA to look for the origins of humanity and how people have spread out across our planet.

My biggest gripe with medicine currently is that medicine appears less focused on cures and solutions than it is on treatments and drugs. See if you can help reverse that trend. :)

I would love to say that I could indeed revise this trend...however, truth is that many medical providers have unfortunately adopted the idea, if you cant fix it, drug it. :( I certainly do not agree with this approach and by working with doctors and theory and co-workers, I believe at first we all want to become doctors simply to improve the quality of life but somewhere in this mess we lose sight of this. I don’t know where and I don’t know when, but I am determined to improve the quality of life regardless of ones financial status. I would like to say it is realistic for myself to say I am going to do that but truth is and many wont say this but it isn’t that the health care provider is trying to pinch you for all your worth. The provider is at a lost when he or she does treat a patient because the equipment comes out of the providers pocket a majority of the time in some form or another. I am no expert on the administrative side of the medical practice but as far as clinical goes, we cant treat something for free not because we dont want to but because it cost us too :((

Warm welcomes to you! I am a fan of medical science myself, but only as a layman. I have asthma and have survived it for 40 years. I have come to realize that I was in fact a guinea pig in the 70s. :)

I have read lots of good biographies and history books related to medical science. One of the best was Ether Day by Julie Fenster:

http://www.amazon.com/Ether-Day-Americas-Greatest-Discovery/dp/0060195231

I am also interested in how they use ancient DNA to look for the origins of humanity and how people have spread out across our planet.

:) I am most definitely going to have to get my hands on that book.