Science Forums

When You Cut Off Your Finger...

sanctus

Hello all,

I heard two theories regarding on what if you cut off somehow half of your finger, for instance, until you get to hospital. One theory says to put the finger in the fridge, since it slows decay. The other theory says to put in your mouth (I am serious!) to keep it at body temperature, since cold makes the cells explode...which theory is right?

Sounds a bit nasty!

I suppose it would be much better to keep the severed digit in the fridge (not the freezer - if the cells were to freeze, they would burst) than to put it in your mouth, if only because the enzymes in your saliva will start to digest your finger. That, of course, is totally apart from the grossness factor.

I say one should get to the surgical hospital as soon as possible, and with the severed part, and it isn't easy to bring the fridge along. I would say it is important to keep the finger clean (at least the exposed flesh), while cooling it is only important if circumstances delay the surgery for some time.

So, if one can make a quick dash for the hospital and is in good oral hygiene, holding it in the mouth like a cigarette would be a good idea, but if there's any chance of a long delay it could help to disinfect it and cool it to around 4 °C until it's time to go. You could first dip it in thick brine, no big deal if a few of the good cells fizzle along with the nasty wee beasties.

Apparently, the human mouth is dirtier than a dog's. So, if you've got a dog, string him along and let him carry your finger. Mind he doesn't eat it, though.

Jokes aside, I actually think if your first move is to get to surgery, just carrying it (maybe wrapped in tissue or something) is far better than putting it in your mouth. Besides the foulness of the human mouth, there's a very strong chance that you will puke all over it. True story. And then your finger is covered in stomach acids as a bonus. No, I would wrap it and carry it. Of course, if you do have a little cooler-box handy, I would think it best to put it in there as cool as possible without freezing it. Nowadays it doesn't seem to be necessary to lug fridges around on your back anymore. Not like the 'thirties, when it took six construction workers just to set up your picnic.

Apparently, the human mouth is dirtier than a dog's. So, if you've got a dog, string him along and let him carry your finger. Mind he doesn't eat it, though.

Ha! That's a funny image.

Jokes aside, I actually think if your first move is to get to surgery, just carrying it (maybe wrapped in tissue or something) is far better than putting it in your mouth. Besides the foulness of the human mouth, there's a very strong chance that you will puke all over it. True story. And then your finger is covered in stomach acids as a bonus. No, I would wrap it and carry it. Of course, if you do have a little cooler-box handy, I would think it best to put it in there as cool as possible without freezing it. Nowadays it doesn't seem to be necessary to lug fridges around on your back anymore. Not like the 'thirties, when it took six construction workers just to set up your picnic.

I agree with wrapping it up, but I would lean towards plastic wrap over cloth or tissues. Cooling it is good as well, but it should be isolated from the ice so that it is not in direct contact.

I think the same would apply to any severed body part.

Some advice along the same lines here:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/First-Aid-995/2008/4/cut-small-tip-finger.htm

I like the "keep it with the victim" part. If only Lorena Bobbitt had read that.

I agree with wrapping it up, but I would lean towards plastic wrap over cloth or tissues.
The most important point is for it to be sterile, or to use some disinfectant.

It's quite obvious that, if good modern things are available, they are safer than the age-old "licking your wounds" so it is all a matter of what the circumstances are. Even soap and water is a good thing... if the water is clean enough. Note that I had specified good oral hygiene, note that without sterile wrapping, the external environment could well be worse than the mouth, also I was talking about the case of reaching medical treatment quickly; once there, they reduce the probability of infection so, on the way there, it's just a matter of what's worse than what.

There is controversy over the suitability of licking wounds when there is nothing better to do. No doubt there are cases where it turns out to be worse but this doesn't mean the risk overall outweighs the benefit. An instinct common among so many species can be considered reasonably tested but then our typical lifestyle can change a lot of things. My sister was once treated at length ensuing a cat bite. Although it was her domestic cat, medics told her it was a serious threat because urban cats tend to get into plenty of unclean stuff. As for the average Joe licking his wounds, it seems to be a subjective matter, involving chance. For common wounds, so many people do it that you could hardly call it risky but for severe ones, it is hard to say and doctors don't all agree.

I any case, the same goes for the site from which the part was severed.

Well enough with funny images now, they won't be quite as funny when you're worried about having severe damage repaired before it gets permantent. There is quite a variety of opposite opinion in the responses here:

http://www.newscientist.com/blog/lastword/2007/09/wound-licking.html

and some are marked as having been selected and edited by New Scientist staff so they are presumably a bit more reliable.

The impression I get is that adverse effects from bacteria or parasites are more in the case of bites than of licking, or due to immune weakness, and that licking should not be such as to subject the tissues to strain.

• 1 month later...