Science Forums

So What's Everybody Watching?

Buffy

A new thread for my 500th post: Television's gotten so global that even those of you elsewhere in the world are probably experiencing no more than a few weeks delay in some of the series we export from the States (not too long ago it would be a year or more lag...).

Here's Buffy's must watch list this season:

Lost

Alias

Veronica Mars

Medium (Patricia Arquette as Psychic Soccer Mom!)

Desperate Housewives

Gilmore Girls (prolly the last season, sniff)

Las Vegas

Survivor (only reality show worth watching)

And more obscure and sharable with my kid:

What Not To Wear

Iron Chef reruns (this never gets tired but I miss the untranslated Japanese version)

And as you might imagine: don't bother trying to call me most Sundays cuz Nascar is on...

So what are you all watching? Norwegian local faire would be interesting to hear about too!

Cheers,

Buffy

Cool thread!

I don't watch too much TV these days because I spend far too much time with Hypography, but here is my watch list. Not much Norwegian stuff from me because it sucks (it seems they only copy American reality shows these days...).

CSI (both the Vegas and Miami, NYC just started over here and the first episode was, er, different)

Cold Case (British version of the US original)

Some NYC crime series about missing people

Discovery Channel: Mythbusters (those guys are too wacky for their own good!)

Simpsons (don't even worry if I've seen each episode before, it's great)

Lost (seen three episodes)

Gilmore Girls when I remember it

Required:

Norwegian Football on Sunday evenings

Plus I have a collection of children's DVD movies which seems to go in endless loops in our house...

I love the British murders, which our Australian national non-commercial station cycles:

Currently:

Wire in the Blood

Recently:

Blue Murder

Agatha Christie's Miss Marple

Dalziel and Pascoe

Midsommer Murders

Also enjoy good comedy:

The Glass House

Roy and H.G.'s Memphis Trousers Half Hour

Black Books (not currently showing)

Others:

Mythbusters

The Einstein Factor (non-commercial quiz show -- the only prizes being the admiration of your friends and family)

Spicks and Specks (non-commercial music quiz show)

Unpopularly, especially with my kids, I avoid The Simpsons completely. I remember that cartoon from when it started out as a cutting edge short in between the sketches on the Tracy Ullman show. What it has become no longer grabs my interest.

Lost and whatever's on the Science channel, Discovery channel, National Geographic or History channel mostly if I watch TV at all. I mainly just listen to whatever the family puts on while I play with math or code or work on one of my rockets or anything but TV. TV is one of the things I could do without.

Oh yes! Mythbusters! It unfortunately is on my "when I can" list, but those nuts work just down the road from me...

I see Lost is just as addictive as it seems to be to me. I posted an obscure item elsewhere on Hypography that references it. A cookie to whoever finds it first....

CSI:NY threw me at first--I'm a Marg Helgenberger fan so I watch the original occasionally (on after Survivor), don't like Miami too much, but NY had to adjust over the first half-dozen episodes. You might like it better as Mac gets slowly less turgid. I saw Gary Sinise in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest on Broadway a few years ago: He's great!

Cheers,

Buffy

CSI:NY threw me at first--I'm a Marg Helgenberger fan so I watch the original occasionally (on after Survivor), don't like Miami too much, but NY had to adjust over the first half-dozen episodes. You might like it better as Mac gets slowly less turgid. I saw Gary Sinise in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest on Broadway a few years ago: He's great!

Cheers,

Buffy

I'm a HUGE fan of CSI. I had a hard time tearing myself away from the tv when Spike had their week-long marathon a few weeks ago.

I'm a HUGE fan of CSI. I had a hard time tearing myself away from the tv when Spike had their week-long marathon a few weeks ago.
When NY was announced, a friend of mine and and I were talking about the fact that Pete Townshend is a big CSI fan and amazingly jumped at the chance of letting the producers use his songs after they sent him a preview tape of the original show. He asked, "so what song are they gonna use for the new show?" and I said, "for New York? Dark but defiant. Prolly Baba O'Reilly"... Imagine my surprise a few months later when it debuted....

Cheers,

Buffy

When NY was announced, a friend of mine and and I were talking about the fact that Pete Townshend is a big CSI fan and amazingly jumped at the chance of letting the producers use his songs after they sent him a preview tape of the original show. He asked, "so what song are they gonna use for the new show?" and I said, "for New York? Dark but defiant. Prolly Baba O'Reilly"... Imagine my surprise a few months later when it debuted....

Cheers,

Buffy

I haven't had a chance to watch CSI:NY as I have CSI as none of the seasons have been released on DVD and I work evenings after being in class all day. I managed to catch the occasional CSI because I usually work mornings on Thursdays and I became addicted so I spent my few days off watching the Spike marathon and then I rented the seasons on DVD and watched every night when I got off of work. I can't wait until the next season comes out on DVD!

I like:

CSI (original is my favorite)

CSI:Miami is OK, but I don't llike Caruso.

CSI:NY is improving. As an expatriate NY'er, I love the locations.

Law and Order:Criminal Intent. Don't like the other two, but the character Robert Goren is so smart and neurotic I wish he was a real person, so I could meet him.

All sorts of stuff on History and Discover and Animal Planet, etc.

However, since I work 3:00 to 11:00 PM, all I really get to watch is reruns of CSI at 8:00 on Spike, because that's when I take my meal break at work.

Oh, and I forgot MXC. Stupid, but I laugh anyway. Makes me think of "What's Up, Tiger Lily?"

News, both network & PBS

Perry Mason

Seinfeld

PBS like GlobeTrekker & science & music & history &....

I used to watch cops but I dropped my little TV & the sound quit so I use my multi-band radio to get the audio but I don't get audio for UHF with it so I lost 2 channels.

___It seems partly a matter of why I watch too. I watch Perry Mason because it passes the time; Seinfeld because it makes me laugh; science because I have an irespressable urge to learn new things. ;)

I like:

CSI (original is my favorite)

CSI:Miami is OK, but I don't llike Caruso.

CSI:NY is improving. As an expatriate NY'er, I love the locations.

The original CSI is my favorite, too. However, I can't believe they split up the team! IMHO the show was better when they were together. It was mentioned somewhere that some of the cast members weren't happy with their contracts and that's why they're playing up Szmanda's character and giving him a bigger role in case the people who were not happy with their contracts don't come back next season. I know that one of them is Jorja Fox and the other one plays Brown on the show, I can't remember his name.

Adult swim
I like Futurama, sad its cancelled. But I miss what adult swim replaced: My insomniac daughter and I used to stay up late on Fridays watching Space Ghost Coast to Coast (which was still in first reruns when I was very small)....Now its mainly late night Lizzie McGuire reruns after Iron Chef...
Perry Mason
Now that's obscure! Where on the dial are they rerunning that? I've only seen it a few times, and Raymond Burr I guess is always going to be Ironsides to me (lots of vague memories of that one along with Hawaii 5-0...)....

Cheers,

Buffy

Alias - Innovative and smart with nice twists and turns. One time I thought it would turn slighty less good, but they managed to avoid some clichées. Very good.

Lost - From the creator of Alias, I think. One of the best shows.

24 (I think they will show day 4 this year)

CSI (all three of them) Always interesting.

And this year Buffy in its entirety will be showed over here. Watched most of it last year when they speeded through all 7 seasons in one year. One very good show. I think the best part of this show is the characters, how they develop, and the interactions between them.

Angel - Rerun for us, but I'll watch it.

Joey - Loved Friends so I will watch this. I'm guessing it wont survive for more than two seasons, but who knows?

Then I'll be watching reruns of various shows I like, such as Simpsons, Friends, Spin City and such.

ah i love futurama, they did such a good job on that show. i started watching adult swim after space ghost, to be honest i've only seen it once. it was wierd though, and i like wierd, so i must have liked it. like tom goes to the mayor....that show is just...wierd.

family guy, aqua teen, futurama-those are my favorites.