Science Forums

Volcanic Activity And Climate Change

scotter59

I was thinking, what happens when the polar ice melts ?

• Solid mass turns to a liquid, if it is sitting on something like the edge of the plate, the plate shifts.
  • Solid mass turns to a liquid, if it is on a spinning globe it flows from the poles to the equator.
  • Solid mass turns to a liquid, it does not melt evenly so it sloshes against the boundaries, the techtonic plates.

These masses in a state of flux have effect, release the pressure on top of a plate it shifts, pressure at the side from the liquid shifts it.

• With each major melt there should be increased seismic activity and volcanism ?
  • Is there a way to determine the state of the ice caps just before the last Yellowstone eruption ?

I am sure that it has been addressed somewhere by those who are in the fields of study but I was curious who would have and what were the results.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-glacial_rebound

If you are interesting in studying the relationship between ice ages and the blocking of sunlight by gases in the atmosphere then you might want to look into

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australasian_strewnfield

Thanks for the links....

Found this one Volcanic ash cloud: Global warming may trigger more volcanoes from the Wikipedia site. Kind of figured that someone had already gone over the volcano/climate change/mass redistribution scenario.

It would be interesting to see if there was a correlation with size of polar ice pack's and Yellowstone and other super volcanic eruptions. Wonder what the Arctic core samples record for that period, how would one identify the size of the pack given the melt/freeze cycles over the eons......

• 1 month later...

sea level

my understanding is that yellowstone is a hotspot and it erupts at regular intervals

Yeah, understand that it is pretty close to cycle give or take a few tens of thousand years. A hot spot in a tectonic plate floating on a sea of magma, with a weight being removed at the minimum being jostled by tremendous masses.

• 3 weeks later...

A huge volcano could theoretically cancel the effect of the current global warming. If I am not mistaking a huge volcano in the mid 19th century (Krakatoa?), created a world wide global cooling event. The thermal capacity of the then earth lost many degrees.

Say we have globally increased temperature a few degrees over the past decades. Next, say a huge volcano gives off a dust cloud that cools the earth, could these cancel so the clock is reset to zero?

A huge volcano could theoretically cancel the effect of the current global warming. If I am not mistaking a huge volcano in the mid 19th century (Krakatoa?), created a world wide global cooling event. The thermal capacity of the then earth lost many degrees.

Say we have globally increased temperature a few degrees over the past decades. Next, say a huge volcano gives off a dust cloud that cools the earth, could these cancel so the clock is reset to zero?

I would guess that if the plates are more inclined to move after the melt and this results in an increase in seismic activity, earthquakes and volcanoes, the result might be an ice age. More like a reset to a negative number.....

• 3 weeks later...