Science Forums

Degree Distasnce

Robust

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So explain why you think the least distance can't be as small as 5 cm or 1 cm, then. I still don't understand.

Simply because, Rincewind, radius/radian doesn't give those figures There can only be one figure defining the minimal distance between each adjacent angular degree. It is necessary to understand - and I find not emphasized enough in the general curriculum that the radian is the same distance on the arc as the line of the radius subtending it . Thus: radius/radian giving the least distance possible between 2 adjacent angular degrees on the circumference. I personally prefer the formula of pi/40....but that's only perhaps 'cause I'm an advocate of Pythagoras and the Base 10 number system.

"All things number and harmony." - Pythagoras

Simply because, Rincewind, radius/radian doesn't give those figures There can only be one figure defining the minimal distance between each adjacent angular degree. It is necessary to understand - and I find not emphasized enough in the general curriculum that the radian is the same distance on the arc as the line of the radius subtending it . Thus: radius/radian giving the least distance possible between 2 adjacent angular degrees on the circumference. I personally prefer the formula of pi/40....but that's only perhaps 'cause I'm an advocate of Pythagoras and the Base 10 number system.

"All things number and harmony." - Pythagoras

You leave no choice. Your claim is strange and frivolous and without the mathematical proof that's been requested to support it. Thus, this junk math has been moved to the strange claims forum.

You leave no choice. Your claim is strange and frivolous and without the mathematical proof that's been requested to support it. Thus, this junk math has been moved to the strange claims forum.

Clay, You are denying then that the formulae radius/radian and pi/40 give the least possible distance between 2 angular degrees? On what determination? I have given the maths proof quite thoroughly. On the other hand you do not come up with any figures to show otherwise. I'm going to have to appeal this personal and preemptive decision of yours.

Clay, You are denying then that the formulae radius/radian and pi/40 give the least possible distance between 2 angular degrees? On what determination? I have given the maths proof quite thoroughly. On the other hand you do not come up with any figures to show otherwise. I'm going to have to appeal this personal and preemptive decision of yours.

You've given nothing that qualifies as a mathematical proof. FWIW, MathWorld and my Handbook of Mathematics clearly state that the Arc length equals arc radius times the angle in radians, something I have known since high school. Here's plenty more for you to peruse. Appeal all you want.