Science Forums

The Achievement Thread

Tormod

This thread is a place to show off something you're happy about and want to share with your friends at the Science Forums. Have you done something you didn't think you could do? Finished something you worked hard for? Won an award? Or just something you feel proud about? Post it here, and please share pictures if you have any!

Today I completed my longest bicycling season ever! For those of you who don't know me at all, I am an amateur road racing cyclist and I spend a lot of time on the road.

I want to share a cool photo a friend of mine took today. It shows me with two medals (although one is hidden inside the vest). I got one for completing today's 60km race downtown Oslo - 6 laps, each of 10km with a 4km climb every lap. The other one was for completing the "Oslo Triple" which includes an 80km race on May 1, the 540km ultra endurance race from Trondheim-Oslo ("Styrkeprøven"), and today's Cycle Festival event.

It also marks the end of a fantastic season where I have cycled more than 4000 kilometers! I am very happy with what I achieved this year - I reached all my goals and completed every race I entered.

There is no "category" rating in Norway (unlike what they have in the US), but I would definitely rank at the lower end among the enthusiasts. :D

ONLY 15 CELSIUS??? HOW DO YOU GO OUT IN THAT? Here in southern California, it's been about 105 F all week, and it dropped to 90 today, but my pool was 96 mid summer. I don't have a heater, it was just that hot. I don't know how you stand freezing your fingers off like that, that race must have been one hell of a life-or-death struggle, haha.

An achievement: I completed Stego13 on hackthissite.com, not a huge achievement, but it took me about five hours, staring at code to figure it out. If any of you are interested in that site, or already use it, my screename is Gordan_Freeman.

• 2 weeks later...

Reached another goal today! After a knee injury forced me to stop running and take up bicyling over three years ago, I finally have been able to pick up running again as a cross-training alternative.

Today I finished a 10K downtown Oslo and got a time of 44:13 which is 5 minutes better than my PB (which was from 1994!). Yes! :lol:

So there is still hope...next year I plan to run my first marathon.

Sorry i'm a little bit depressed...

I'm sorry to hear that. I find your posts interesting and have often used the information that you brought to my attention on other message boards.

I wish there were something I could do to help you feel better.

If it helps at all, please know that I care. If you ever need to talk, I would be honored.

Steve

This thread is a place to show off something you're happy about and want to share with your friends at the Science Forums. Have you done something you didn't think you could do? Finished something you worked hard for? Won an award? Or just something you feel proud about? Post it here, and please share pictures if you have any!

What a temptation to brag..... :lol:

In a broad sense my personal pride encompasses several aspects of life - professional accomplishments, public service accomplishments, and personal and family accomplishments.

For the terminally bored my cv is at: http://www2.onu.edu/~kwildman/vit.html B) Under honors and awards I should add "Who’sWho in America (Marquis), 2010". I also confess inordinate pride in being the youngest faculty member at my university to be appointed to a Full Professorship. I served as department chair for 28 years. I retired in 2001, but I continue to engage in a private practice of mediation and arbitration as well as judging professional boxing matches.

Most of my public service is noted in my cv, over the years I've served on a number of civic boards. I'm currently Chair of our small city Planning Commission.

My personal and family sources of pride are 47 years of marriage to my college sweetheart,

two successful sons, and four wonderful grandchildren.

It's been a great ride and I think I've achieved most of my goals, though Bill Gates-level wealth and rock star adulation continue to elude me.

In a broad sense my personal pride encompasses several aspects of life - professional accomplishments, public service accomplishments, and personal and family accomplishments.

For the terminally bored my cv is at: http://www2.onu.edu/~kwildman/vit.html B)

I retired in 2001, but I continue to engage in a private practice of mediation and arbitration as well as judging professional boxing matches.

It's been a great ride and I think I've achieved most of my goals, though Bill Gates-level wealth and rock star adulation continue to elude me.

well writ & segue to another of my dubious achievements in which your talents may be of service. :omg: :doh: what's your stand on preserving forests ken? :tree: so the "achievement" is my exploration of one Lechtenberg Park over the last several years & reporting on it here @ hypography. alas, seems there may be some collusion afoot ken, and the rest of you dear tender readers, between landowners & county officials that puts this unique piece of climax forest at risk. the park is off the records now & everyone has clammed up. :zip:

so, here's the thread from the start: Environmental Study of Lechtenberg Park

so then, here's a sign near the finish of the thread indicating some need now of arbitration/mediation/psychologization. :photos:

here's what no-one is allowed to go see anymore:

call me crazy, but i miss my forest. :kuku: :turtle: :tree: :tree: :tree:

well writ & segue to another of my dubious achievements in which your talents may be of service. :omg: :doh: what's your stand on preserving forests ken? :tree: so the "achievement" is my exploration of one Lechtenberg Park over the last several years & reporting on it here @ hypography. alas, seems there may be some collusion afoot ken, and the rest of you dear tender readers, between landowners & county officials that puts this unique piece of climax forest at risk. the park is off the records now & everyone has clammed up. :zip:

so, here's the thread from the start: Environmental Study of Lechtenberg Park

so then, here's a sign near the finish of the thread indicating some need now of arbitration/mediation/psychologization. :photos:

here's what no-one is allowed to go see anymore:

call me crazy, but i miss my forest. :kuku: :turtle: :tree: :tree: :tree:

That's really sad. Have you tried a Freedom of Information claim against the county for some record of actions taken with regard to this park? Perhaps you can find a lawyer who will take it on pro bono. Having some legal "muscle" to back you up should open some doors and free the information log-jam.

As Kermit sang: "It ain't easy being green".

I wish you well.

Fantastic! Thanks a lot for sharing. Those are wonderful achievements!