Science Forums

Text Processing Effects!

Doctordick

I just thought I might mention this as it seems to be an important issue. This new software you are using processes the text being entered: i.e., even with no tags of any kind, the software changes the actual text being entered.

An excellent example (which I have mentioned elsewhere) is the fact that “open parenthesis”, “r”, “close parenthesis” is changed into ®. But beyond that, with regard to latex implementation, notice that all “back slashes” are removed if the tag being used is wrong. That is, when you go back to the original post to correct it by editing, you have to specifically reinsert all the “back slashes”

Suppose I type in [altex]”backslash”frac{a}{b}[/altex], I will get [altex]\frac{a}{b][/altex].

Just a test, \this \is \a \test \of \the \text \processing software.

I am unable to recreate the bug with backslashes being removed when you save or edit a post.

However, a more serious error seems to have come up.

Some time over the past 24 hours or so, all backslashes seem to have been removed (at least as far as I can see) from our database.

This means that virtually all LaTeX images break, because they rely on backslash to work.

I am looking at the possibility to create a script which gets all the old latex, math, cd etc tag codes from our previous database prior to the conversion to the new forum software. This will take some time and experiment.

It seems that posting LaTeX currently works fine.

[math]

\sqrt{\frac{n}{n-1} S}

[/math]