Science Forums

What will we run out of second.

clapstyx

In this evermore globalised market for domestic products and resources the debate for a long time has been about when we will run out of oil.

I on the other hand think industry is at risk from falling in a heap when the copy paper runs out.

Out of all of the commodities can we put together a ranking and a timeline ?

• 2 weeks later...

i dont think oil is first, i think common sense is. if we had any common sense left we could quite easily avoid this whole "worlds going to end theory" and live out our days in clean happiness.

but i think we are running on empty already.

once we completely exchange common sense with fast greed, i think oil is big. followed by anything that depends exclusively on transport systems.

i doubt water cause no matter how little we think we have (as in cant be watering gardens and washign trucks etc) we will likely have enough to drink from, even if its dirty.

paper seems like an important one. so do rubber, plastics (which are oil based) and.... well, if we dont have plastic, how can life go on as we know it ????

Common sense....already pretty much gone.... only missed by those few that still have it so once it's entirely gone who knows...

Oil-the impact of it's loss really depends on how abruptly it disappears

Trust, honesty, compassion & civility ...ok now we're totally screwed

Paper?!? really?!? this is an issue? an abundant product which is easily made from nearly any common material.

i dont think oil is first, i think common sense is. if we had any common sense left we could quite easily avoid this whole "worlds going to end theory" and live out our days in clean happiness.

Good point I would say there is a very large number of people who have noted a decline in common sense and the annoying thing about it is that it would seem likely to perpetuate itself. That is of course unless a way for enacting perpetually greater sensibility can be realised. To do that I think the objective would have to become widely thought about. My concern is that as the world becomes more intricate and complex the chance that all of that complexity can be held in mind (because of physiological constraints) becomes greater. So what I mean is that common full understanding of the situation becomes more unlikely so if we dont all have a full understanding how can we be commonly sensible to a maximised degree of consideration of all things in the existence equation. Finding a resolve to a planetary issue where there are multiple issues intertwined is a good example of this because you have to get a handle on all of them which is bloody mindboggling sometimes.

• 3 weeks later...