Science Forums

What kind of job in psychology can you get with a bachelor of arts in psychology?

Aisymooly

Welcome to hypograph, Aisymooly! :ideamaybenot: Please feel free to start a thread in the introduction forum to tell us something about yourself.

Are there psychology jobs that you can get with a bachelor of arts in psychology?

While I was still an undergraduate (BS in Math, 1982), I had an vacation internship at one of my state’s public long-term mental health hospitals then name the Huntington State Mental Hospital, now the Mildred Mitchell-Bateman Hospital. According to one of my psych professor, now retired, WV public colleges are still interning undergrads to this and other state-run special needs hospitals, especially premed students considering MDs in clinical psychiatry. My wife (BSW (social work) 1982) interned the summer after graduation at the WV School for the Deaf and the Blind.

My wife’s internship had some specialized requirements, such as ASL signing proficiency and special ed training. Mine required no more than literacy, on-the-job training, and a firm lack of squeamishness. Though all US states in my experience have counseling and clinical accreditations for people with 4-year college degrees, I’ve never known them to be required of interns or other short-stay staff.

My interest in psychology was related to an interest in artificial intelligence, while my wife went on to do some counseling in hospitals.