Science Forums

Which part of the body is the most honest?

alexander

Which part of the body is the most honest?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Which part of the body is the most honest?

• Head (including face)
    • Arms (including hands)
    • Torso (including the buttocks and correlating frontal area as well as the neck)
    • Legs (including feet)

I once heard a comunication pro saying that the hardest thing for a person to avoid, when deliberately saying something false, is some kind of incipient motion of their hand, typically the right. Essentially, he explained, the same one that as a child they would instinctively bring before their mouth when lying and it's a sign of the embarrassment felt. Just like when we think oops, shouldn't say/do that! I've heard of people drawing their hand before the mouth in very unusual OMG situations, such as unexpectly finding a celebrity in fromt of them at an airport.

He was aying that, as adults, we still have a residue of it and the right hand will typically at least have a start of motion when we try to unjustly deceive someone. People even perceive it unconciously and so some deceptive salesfolk train themselves to avoid it, or at least disguise it by doing something with that hand at the right moment. A deliberate action doesn't come across that way as much as a jerk or starting motion of the hand but, if you see a salesman grabbing his pen right when making a claim about his product or service, consider it might be a gip.

Ah! :phones: Just remembered a related thing and this is from having worked with salesfolk. Well trained ones never, ever, ever, eeeeeeeeeeever pass a hand or even a finger in front of any part of their face, even briefly. It is perceived as being embarassed and needing to hide. If they gesticulate, it is never in front of the face. A no-no with the index finger, for instance, might be beside the head but always clear of the face.

• 4 weeks later...

From my perspective it would be the part of body which is least influenced by brain or thinking..from my opinion our reality is created by thinking and is brain/mind created illusion via signals from sensory receptors and it is not reflecting well the "real environment" where the rest of ther body is operating

From my perspective it would be the part of body which is least influenced by brain or thinking..from my opinion our reality is created by thinking and is brain/mind created illusion via signals from sensory receptors and it is not reflecting well the "real environment" where the rest of ther body is operating

fair enough. which part of the body then do you nominate as least influenced by the brain? enquiring minds want to know. :shrug:

fair enough. which part of the body then do you nominate as least influenced by the brain? enquiring minds want to know. :naughty:

I would say all the cells which are not connected with body itself via any nervous system (due nervous system is connected to the brain which lives in illusory world)..which are floating/carried by the fluid..so it would be red cells, white cells and so on..

I would say all the cells which are not connected with body itself via any nervous system (due nervous system is connected to the brain which lives in illusory world)..which are floating/carried by the fluid..so it would be red cells, white cells and so on..

mmmm..so then, do you mean to say those cells are the most honest in the vein of the thread's question? how would we percieve that? now since the brain is chemically connected ultimately, then i'd argue those cells are really not disconnected any more than the brain from itself, and that those cells have an intimate chemical connection with it as they course through it.

that's all i got. :hihi:

You are correct in your assumption, but I consider these red/white cells in our bloodstream to be least influnced by our brain and "mind command center"..Thus agreeing that all is still interlinked within the body.

And as each cell is in a way independent but at the same time cababale of communicating it would be my selection. it also carries our DNA so that is initially "I"..in a one cell, nutshell ;-)

So when I notice a banana is yellow you think the banana is communicating to me that it's yellow? Does everything communicate? Is the observation of anything the result of receiving a communication?

Lets experiment, do you think that banana is yellow when you are not looking it ?

You are correct in your assumption, but I consider these red/white cells in our bloodstream to be least influnced by our brain and "mind command center"..Thus agreeing that all is still interlinked within the body.

And as each cell is in a way independent but at the same time cababale of communicating it would be my selection. it also carries our DNA so that is initially "I"..in a one cell, nutshell ;-)

ok. however, we are talking about communicating between/among individual people; how does my blood communicate honestly with others? (besides blushing that is. :hihi: )

Lets experiment, do you think that banana is yellow when you are not looking it ?

Well, since I'm at work right now I can't see the bananas laying on my kitchen counter but yes I think they are yellow. Then again I think they are yellow because I did look at them before going to work so I'm really not thinking they are yellow, I am remembering they are yellow.

Yeah, my "blood cell theory" is off topic a bit, but just to clarify blushing mechanism..small veins expand due nitric oxide is released from veins inner endothelium and this action is commanded by the parasympathetic nervous system /brain..blood cells are the ones you will see more clearly due small veins are expanded and containing more blood volume.

If I would rule out blood cells then "Body language option" would be my selection as the most honest. so body as a whole. It is extreamly difficult to lie with subconsious body signals.. and blushing being one of these " subconsious signals" :-)

Well, since I'm at work right now I can't see the bananas laying on my kitchen counter but yes I think they are yellow. Then again I think they are yellow because I did look at them before going to work so I'm really not thinking they are yellow, I am remembering they are yellow.

If we break down this "activity", firstly you have learned /have been teached to have interpretation that banana has color called yellow and comes with certain shape and so on..but it is the whole processs of object and the observer which creates this event . if you take out the observer and his/hers lerned/reflective mind reactions in conjuction with object the object would not be the same, as it do not contain the reactions which you generate from your mind to complete the "yellow banana event/obervation". So without your observation the banana is not yellow or not even the banana as you descbe it, as you will describe/create it within your observational limits in your mind.

The observer, when he seems to himself to be observing a stone, is really, if physics is to be believed, observing the effects of the stone upon himself. ~Bertrand Russell

"Body language option" would be my selection
Body language is what we were talking about, before you brought in considerations of a different kind. :scratchchin:

It's all a matter of which part of the body is most revealing, despite a person's deliberate efforts to feign otherwise.

Body language is what we were talking about, before you brought in considerations of a different kind. :scratchchin:

It's all a matter of which part of the body is most revealing, despite a person's deliberate efforts to feign otherwise.

Thank youy for bringing me back to the line...it is a tough call..I would again refine and vote for face as it has many and subtle signalling cababilities for unconsiouss/"honest" toughts. for example Humans are very sensitive to record from others very small muscle movements around the eyes, mouth and so on

• 1 year later...

How come the running pole declares a total of 4 votes so far but the bar graph below indicates 14 votes? :huh:

I'm pretty sure its a conversion glitch from when we migrated hypography from the VBulletin to our present IP.Board forum engine back in 2010.

Trust the 14, not the 4.