Science Forums

Which part of the body is the most honest?

alexander

Which part of the body is the most honest?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Which part of the body is the most honest?

• Head (including face)
    • Arms (including hands)
    • Torso (including the buttocks and correlating frontal area as well as the neck)
    • Legs (including feet)

Well Mr. Turtle, you will just have to wait like everyone else, to find out if you are right... I might make this a 7 day poll, just so i can work on the actual write-up over the weekend. :)

:doh: well, as i said, i already know i'm right. if your "answer" is not hands, it is in error. :hihi:

my one article isn't what i thought on reading it all, but here it is anyway. :read:

The evolution of manual dexterity : Neurophilosophy

this one is closer to what i was after and if your answer is going to be the brain then my retort is that is a no-brainer. :lol: anyway, "honesty" is a communication thingy and communication is a language thingy and, well, the hands are the most honest part of the body says i. :shrug:

Linguistics 201: Language and the Brain

Language and the brain

Many people assume the physical basis of language lies in the lips' date=' the tongue, or the ear. But deaf and mute people can also possess language fully. People who have no capacity to use their vocal cords may still be able to comprehend language and use its written forms. And human sign language, which is based on visible gesture rather than the creation of sound waves, is an infinitely creative system just like spoken forms of language. But the basis of sign language is not in the hand, just as spoken language is not based in the lips or tongue. There are many examples of aphasics who lose both the ability to write as well as to express themselves using sign-language, yet they never lose manual dexterity in other tasks, such as sipping with a straw or tying their shoes.

Language is brain stuff--not tongue, lip, ear, or hand stuff. The language organ is the mind. More specifically, the language faculty seems to be located in certain areas of the left hemispheric cortex in most healthy adults. A special branch of linguistics, called neurolinguistics, studies the physical structure of the brain as it relates to language production and comprehension. ...[/quote']

i said as much. :read: however, a person's hands can't lie about some things like age, work history (calloused, smooth, etc. ), nail-biting, etcetera.

Those things are not elements of body language. They reveal things about a person but they do not convey what a person is saying or feeling.

Those things are not elements of body language. They reveal things about a person but they do not convey what a person is saying or feeling.

no one limited the topic to body language as i recall, nor communication to speech or feeling. :agree:

Remember that the question is which part of the body is the most honest, i.e. lies the least, not which part of the body tells you more about a person. Just something to think about...

yes i understand that. my answer is still the hands. ;)

Well unless they suffer a psychological condition in which the callouses talk to them... ooor they are a part of a Family Guy episode where Peter was some celebrity's callous... But callouses can be used to some extent to predict things about a person, though honestly not very precisely, however it will not necessarily be true about them, for example my hands look like worker hands, yet i sit in the office all day...

Well I say it's the penis: I've never known one to lie to me! ;) Not that I always liked what they had to say! :(

Its just that all men are sure it never happened to them and all women at one time or other have done it so you do the math. :agree:

Buffy

The context is communication though and I wouldn't necessarily consider the callouses on someone's hands a communication per se.

well, i consider it so. communication is among other things defined as an exchange of information. the whole point of this exercise is to get trustworthy information about people by their body parts and putting restrictions on the means isn't honest. ;) it's all really an exercise in semantics and subjectivism, (what is "honest"? :agree:) & i was just jump-jacking along with the group. :(

Q: what were peoples' hands before they were hands?

A: front feet.

I would have to say the torso. When we are disgusted or afraid, then we recoil from our chest area. When on the defense, we cross our arms in front of it as a means of "hiding". When we are angry, we puff it out.

You can lie with a false wave or hug from your arms and hands. Your legs and feet can run in feigned fear. And well, the face can most certainly produce a fake smile.:agree:

well, i consider it so. communication is among other things defined as an exchange of information.

So when I notice a banana is yellow you think the banana is communicating to me that it's yellow? Does everything communicate? Is the observation of anything the result of receiving a communication?

So when I notice a banana is yellow you think the banana is communicating to me that it's yellow? Does everything communicate? Is the observation of anything the result of receiving a communication?

it's communicating that it is ripe. if you get information, then the getting is communication by simple definition.

communicate - definition of communicate by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

a. To convey information about; make known; impart

b. To reveal clearly; manifest