Science Forums

Public legislation or private purchase of lands? Your fav conservation strategy?

Eclipse Now

Hi all,

I've been re-writing a lot of my argument on my blog, and one page is particularly 'thin'.

It's one of my solutions pages here... and this is the rough draft.

Repair ecosystems | Eclipse Now

3. The strategies: Park it, Buy it, Trade it, Publish it!

The traditional job of conservation groups was once to campaign to governments to establish new national parks, which is still one of my favourite strategies. The untold beauty, economic value, and biodiversity protection in the world's national parks really is a treasure we should all protect for future generations. However, now that we are learning about the sheer economic value of functional ecosystems, new approaches are developing. In richer first world nations some of the larger conservation groups just go out and buy large tracts of land to save it and manage it themselves. They'll run ecotourism services, but are also largely funded by private donations. Another strategy in poorer nations that don't have effective enough governance to create and manage an effective parks program, or the private wealth for the locals to buy the forest, is for wealthier nations outside the area to pay the locals to protect it, and so the notion of carbon-trading was born. Finally, if all these strategies fail, larger organisations usually have coalitions of scientists that focus on Publishing the environmental ecocide to the outside world to motivate some kind of action.

One of the problems I face is trying to slot organisations into these categories, as some of the organisations do a little bit of everything.

So what is your favourite approach, and what is your favourite organisation?

And any advice on how to lay out this page... should I just have a list of my favourite organisations at the end rather than trying to slot it into the 4 categories above?

Cheers, and thanks in advance for your help.

Hi,

Your web page is very well done. You may find this journal to be of interest:

Ecology and Society

There are many scientific societies that publish journals on your topic---so, perhaps a link to a few journals such as the one above for people with such interest--where they can go to "get facts" ? There are journals specific to the topic of Restoration Ecology...etc.

Also, my answer to your question is that, imo, the best way forward to protect ecosystems is a mix of methods. So, I see at least four: (1) government ownership of land (such as parks), (2) conservation groups purchase land (such as Nature Conservancy), (3) private industry purchases land and puts into conservation easement, many companies do this (4) private citizens purchase land (or take land passed down from parents, such as farms) and place in conservation easement.

• 9 months later...

Hi,

Your web page is very well done. You may find this journal to be of interest:

Ecology and Society

There are many scientific societies that publish journals on your topic---so, perhaps a link to a few journals such as the one above for people with such interest--where they can go to "get facts" ? There are journals specific to the topic of Restoration Ecology...etc.

Also, my answer to your question is that, imo, the best way forward to protect ecosystems is a mix of methods. So, I see at least four: (1) government ownership of land (such as parks), (2) conservation groups purchase land (such as Nature Conservancy), (3) private industry purchases land and puts into conservation easement, many companies do this (4) private citizens purchase land (or take land passed down from parents, such as farms) and place in conservation easement.

Hi Rade, I meant to say thanks for your reply but it kind of got lost in a deep email trail. Yes, there's a long way to go in saving species isn't there? I didn't see that much change out of last year's 'Year of Biodiversity'. It's really sad. :(