Science Forums

New cellphone

So I'm due for an upgrade on my phone contract. I've been cruisin' around with my HTC Touch for the last two years, and am due for something bigger and better pretty soon...

...but I'm completely out of touch with phones and apps and stuff.

Long story short, I would love to get another smartphone, with another kick-*** big screen so I can read books, a fast processor so I can watch movies and quickly switch between apps. and GPS so I don't get lost here in Darkest Africa. Cameras don't bug me much, cause I'm firmly of the opinion that a wheelbarrow with a toaster strapped to the side will make a bad toaster and a bad wheelbarrow. I have a pretty good camera which I use to snap pics with, thank you very much. I don't care for a camera on my phone. I'm also not interested in video calls. I don't have to look at someone to hear what they're saying. I have called them, after all - if I want to look at them too, I might as well go the whole hog and visit them.

So - important for me is the ability to open (and edit) Office documents, GPS, BIG screen, and... er... oh, yes - a reasonably fast processor.

I have been looking at the HTC line again, I was quite impressed with my old phone. But it is starting to show its age, and the processor is a bit slow for serious number crunching when it comes to big videos and such. I would go HTC again, I have no issue with Windows Mobile, I'm not a fanboy of any particular OS as such. Can't say that I've ever liked Symbian too much, but what the hell - if you can convince me to take a Symbian phone, so be it.

So - I need advice from you fellow geeks. What, pray tell, should I upgrade to? What phone have you got, and does it float your boat?

With any luck, this thread will not devolve into one big-*** spam magnet. With a thread title and content like this, every single spam bot in the universe have lifted their heads in readiness, aiming for the jugular... and I apologize for that. But I'm totally and completely out of the loop as far as phones are concerned.

Main Page - Openmoko

Openmoko™ is a project dedicated to delivering mobile phones with an open source software stack. Openmoko is currently selling the Neo FreeRunner phone to advanced users and will start selling it to the general public as soon as the software is more developed....The FreeRunner can be purchased from a distributor. The software available on the phone makes it suitable for power users and developers only -- it is not yet ready for the general consumer. Email announcements are found on the announce mailing list. For frequently asked questions please check FAQ.

You're a power user, right?

TrollTech(based in Oslo, Tormod may have heard of them) Does OS/software hacks for Nokia phones, like the N900. Again, Power user stuff.

DealExreme sells a lot of "gadget phones".

YouTube- Tomas sin nye telefonklokke http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzHudwwec8s

Love my iPhone (Gen 1!), but I *still* use my Razr because it's on Verizon (...unlike you guys, I've got a big purse to lug all this junk around in...).

Rumors are that Windows Mobile is dead (they just fired let resign, the heads of the devices group, even though Win 7 Mobile is about to be released), so unless you love it, or do what most of us do and turn your phones over every two years (oh I'm behind because now the latest rumor is a 4G iPhone for Verizon by the end of this year), then you might want to look elsewhere.

Have heard good things about both the HTC and Motorola Droid phones, but I'll probably not jump to either one...

I don't know about the rest of 'em but I'm gettin' a little tired of this yakity-yack and back-and-forth, it's gettin' us nowhere. So I guess *I'll* have to break it up; I change my vote to "not guilty." :rolleyes:

Buffy