Science Forums

Year 2010 - One of The Worst Start Ever?

Alpine

I maybe only 15 years old but I'm sane enough to say that this year or decade might have had one of the worst start ever.It has only been 5 months now and we have witnessed some of the most powerful disasters showing some activity.Sure I just saw the movie 2012 a few days ago (again), but is it possible that what is been said about the world coming to an end in 2012 be true?

Lets have a look

The Major Events

January

# January 12 – A 7.0-magnitude earthquake occurs in Haiti, devastating the nation's capital, Port-au-Prince. The confirmed death toll is over 230,000, making the earthquake one of the deadliest on record.

February

# February 27 – An 8.8-magnitude earthquake occurs in Chile, triggering a tsunami over the Pacific and killing 497.One of the largest earthquakes in recorded history, this rare mega thrust earthquake probably shifts Earth's axis and slightly shortens its days.

March

# March 16 – The Kasubi Tombs, Uganda's only cultural World Heritage Site, are destroyed by fire

April

# April 13 – A 6.9-magnitude earthquake occurs in Qinghai, China, killing at least 2,000 and injuring more than 10,000.

# April 14 – Volcanic ash from one of several eruptions beneath Eyjafjallajökull, a glacier in Iceland, begins to disrupt air traffic across northern and western Europe.

Note:- These events were taken and were referred from Wikipedia (though i knew about all of these other than the Kasubi Tombs).

But the list does not end here.

Other than these there were also a few earthquakes in India and Australia both made some sort of record.

India also witnessed at least 2 typhoons and a few rain showers in middle of the summer!

The volcanic ash cloud re-appeared in May and if I'm not mistaken we also had an volcanic eruption or activity in Iceland either this year or the previous year (In December maybe) from either the same or different volcano.

# April 10 – The President of Poland, Lech Kaczyński, is among 96 killed when their airplane crashes in western Russia.

The event above happened due to "fog".It is really shocking that the fog emerged out of nowhere when the President of Poland was on a tour or something. :sherlock:

So, basically what I want to ask is, did the year 2010 had one of the worst start in history of mankind?

I think I would much rather be alive today than in 1939

January 6 – Naturwissenschaften publishes evidence that nuclear fission has been achieved by Otto Hahn.

January 24 – An earthquake kills 30,000 in Chile, and razes about 50,000 sq mi (130,000 km2).

January 26 – Spanish Civil War: Spanish Nationalist troops, aided by Italy, take Barcelona.

January 27 – Adolf Hitler orders Plan Z, a 5-year naval expansion programme intended to provide for a huge German fleet capable of crushing the Royal Navy by 1944. The Kriegsmarine is given the first priority on the allotment of German economic resources.

February 27 – Sit-down strikes are outlawed by the Supreme Court of the United States.

March 14 – The Slovak provincial assembly proclaims independence; priest Jozef Tiso becomes the president of the independent Slovak government.

March 15 – German troops occupy the remaining part of Bohemia and Moravia; Czechoslovakia ceases to exist. The Ruthenian region of Czechoslovakia declares independence as Carpatho-Ukraine.

March 16 – Hungary invades Carpatho-Ukraine; final resistance ends on March 18.

March 22 – After an ultimatum of March 20, Nazi Germany takes Memelland from Lithuania.

March 23 – The Slovak-Hungarian War begins.

March 28 – Dictator Francisco Franco assumes power in Madrid.

April 3 – Adolf Hitler orders the German military to start planning for Fall Weiss, the codename for the invasion of Poland.

April 7 – Italy invades Albania; King Zog flees.

April 28 – In a speech before the Reichstag, Adolf Hitler renounces the Anglo-German Naval Agreement and the German–Polish Non-Aggression Pact.

May 9 – Spain leaves the League of Nations.

And, of course, it gets worse from there.

I'd venture a guess that it's not actually getting worse, we're just becoming more aware of what is going on. Consider the connectivity world-wide pre-1980s. Consider connectivity of 2000-2009. If you like the doom and gloom and want to freak yourself out, check out this: RSOE EDIS: Emergency Disaster Information Service.

Statistics + communication = great and terrible things.

Gotta agree with IDMclean here.

Interesting thing - I wonder if this global obsession with instant communication will have any detrimental effects on the average human's mental well-being? Being bombarded with 24/7 doom-and-gloom that's constantly in your face, because after all, bad news sells, certainly can't be good for you. With everybody having access to cameras and the interwebs, there are as many good news stories, but unfortunately you will not go out and buy a newspaper because of the story on the front page about the granny who's kitten came out of the tree all by itself.

Can a class-action suit be launched against the international media for the rising suicide rate in the world?