Science Forums

Out of Sins

A23

There are 7 sins :

laziness, vainglory, gluttony, lust, avarice, wrath and envy.

I have 2 question:

a) trying to make no sins towards other or less sins, and hence superior to those : is this again a sin, namely vainglory ?

:phones: Is Anger alone (a 1) and wrath (w has 3 'lines') like a single gets on wrath seeing couples.

Could it be sometimes put as an excuse a plot of couples to try to push singles to temption and make them feel wrath ?

The starting point was : couples (married) do the sin of lust with exactly 1 person (they admit to be addicted to this sin together ?). Supposedly, the sin they do :

NT, Roman 7, 25 :

"Hence I serve God by my intellect, but my human nature serves the law of sins"

The question was : those who think having made less sins, make the sin of "pride" (vainglory seems not a good word in this context) ?

Like if I want gluttony I have to overcome my "avarice" ?

This is not mine, but I could find from Jack, things that are bad :

1,8 : indecision (?)

1,14 : bad desire (envy)

1,20 : wrath

2,5 : not being poor (avarice)

3&4,13 : thinking of being perfect (pride) ?

The 7 come from Saint "Thomas d'Aquin", during the 13th century.

Supposedly the minimal set of sins that anyone of us do.

I don't know if "vainglory" or "pride" is a better word, this involves : lie (else my value could diminish), kill (else this person would be better than me).

If the day of marriage half lie and say yes because afraid of telling the truth to the families and that widow know we never know (dear widow, it is your 2nd official partner, so what do you think of morality)

?

I have 3 questions :

a) some people could argue like : "pride" were not a Sin, since normally, the body serves the Sin, and the Mind God (Roman 7,25) ? except of course if you take the "body" as a reason of superiority,

For example :

--) "The white race were superior", a Sin of Pride, since "white" refers to the body

--) "Quantum reasoning is superior", is not a Sin of Pride, because it has only to do with intellect, which is solely to serve God.

=>As an exception, this could be a sin of the Mind only

:shrug: Could we speak about if the Law in Roman 7,2 is a good one ?

"The partners in a married couple are linked to the other, as long as the other is living" :

I Tim, 5, 11 : "But refuses to put the young widows in the list; since when they want a remarriage, they lose their way to Jesus-Christ" ?

Does this mean that this couple is not a good one,

-normally even as a widow/er, love should remain,

-and that this could even tempt to kill people (for example in case of forced marriages, or heritages ?)

c) Can we say that Jesus lacks of respect towards his mother :

John 2,3 : When there was no wine left anymore, the mother of Jesus told him : "They do not have wine anymore.". 4. But Jesus replied to her : "Woman, do you have to tell what I have to do ? My hour has not already come."

1st) Jesus answers to his mother, which is impolite

2nd) he calls her "woman", like if something had happened between them, what will the father say ? Maybe he was already drunk and did not recognize his mother.

here we could say 2 point of views

: Jesus is fed up with the drunken, gets revolted,

: but the mother takes this as impoliteness maybe.

3rd) he thinks he can decide when his mother is allowed to say something .

Maybe because Jesus was so impolite towards his mother, among other reasons, he got so many problems afterwards ?

Why was Jesus impolite towards his mother ?

This is maybe because he praises the "small-door" (Matt. 7,13), which then even lead to the creation of a sect with masculine majority ?