Science Forums

Analytical Chemistry Questions

LJP07

Hi, just wondering could people here give me a hand on some of these. I've tried some of them and want to see if I'm right, and then there's one or two which I haven't got a clue how to answer, need some direction with. Thanks for any responses.

Q. Magnesium hydroxide and sulphuric acid react in water to give compound A. TG analysis of A was undertaken.

Gentle heating at approximately 100 ºC results in 2 mass losses. The remaining mass after the first event is 56.1% and after the second event it is 48.8%. A third event, after extreme heating in excess of 300 ºC, is seen, after which the mass remaining is 16.40 %. Identify A, and write a balanced equation for its formation. Write balanced equations for all three events observed in the TG experiment.

[Atomic masses: H = 1.01, O = 16.00, Mg = 24.31 and S = 32.06]

Haven't the foggiest how to do the above, tried googling for help and still unsure.

Q. Injected solvent passes through a chromatographic column in 2.0min while two drug substances require 6.0 and 10.0min respectively. Calculate the capacity factors k' for the two solutes. What is the selectivity of the separation?

k'A = t R - tM / tM <-- I think this equation is used but am unsure...tm/tm do you just put 6 in for both top and bottom?

and I think this equation is used for the selectivity;

a = k 'B / k 'A but can't answer that until I do the top half which I'm sort of unsure of as well.

Q. A chromatogram shows an eluted solute peak, with ideal Gaussian shape at Tr = 10.0min and w1/2= 1.0min.

(i) How many theoretical plates are present?

(ii) Find the plate height if the column is 10cm long?

This is my attempt at that...

N = 5.54[tr/ w1/2]^2

5.54[(10min)(1min)]

55.4 theoretical plates present

HETP = L/N... 100mm/55.2 ==> 1.81

So can anyone help with these three questions and correct my if I said or made an error above.

Thanks!!

The first question is relatively easy. I won't answer for you, but it should be easy to figure out if you remember that an acid and a base combine to produce water and in this case a percipitant, which is obviously hydrated.

On the other two questions, I'm clueless. It's been too long since chem class for me, sorry.