Science Forums

The Converging Point

Theory5

Hi! Long time no see, huh? I have been busy, and I have a term paper due almost every week now, so that leaves little time for leisure, and practically no time for self-education, hence my absence.

For a while I have been wondering, just like other groups of people, what will happen when humanity, technology, advertising, corporations, and all the sub and counter cultures in between, collide. ( I deemed this to be an alternative theory because I am just elaborating on this topic, I doubt I will provide any actual theories. Move where you see fit)

First a little story.

When the earth was 'young' and the dinosaurs died, a new species rose up. Later on in there brief history they would deem themselves "man". At first they were but a sub-civilization, hunters, and gatherers. Then Man rose, up and up, out and they grew. And grew. And grew. From the past up until the present there were always winners and losers. These winners in their battles destroyed many different ways of life and cultures. Some went by force, others by sheer ignorance of a different culture. Much like the Amish who are struggling to keep their ways today, as society grows around them and even above them. Not to generalize, or offend anybody, but at the rate society is moving and at the rate society is educated, the Amish and their way of life are doomed because of sheer ignorance unless they can persevere by sheer will, good old-fashion stubbornness and resisting the temptation of greed.

Now, We all know there are tons of factions out there. Each Company can be considered a faction to a degree, as well as each community like the ever present open-source DIYers. But someday these cultures will clash, much like factions and cultures of older times. Companies will want more space, more turf, and they will inevitably get it, not necessarily by destructive means, but by any means they deem fit (within the law).

These battles might not be fought with weapons (i.e. products such as new OS's and new tools). They may be fought through "arms" races to see who can build up their empire to new heights, bigger and stronger until they can crush them with money or drive them under with better products.

...I did have a point but I forgot it. So feel free to discuss what i said. offer your own opinions and views.

-Theory

Or simply, the old empire will be ignored and avoided as increasingly irrelevant. People will move on to bigger and better problems. I know for instance, I am systematically moving away from proprietary software and hardware. I aim for my next computer to run completely open source from hardware to software, from architecture to standards. No Microsoft, no Intel, no NVidia. My goal is to be able to examine, dissect, rebuild, reprogram, and redesign my computer. What can the corporations do about it? They either join, or get left behind. Either way, the old ways are shed. Similar to how science overthrew theology and philosophy.