Science Forums

Getting a straight answer

paigetheoracle

In a sketch by Abbot and Costello, every time they ask for directions to the Sasquhanna Hat Company, all they got was sad stories. This emotional baggage is what stops us getting straight answers to questions and is indicative of past trauma stopping us sensing and appreciating present conditions. Somebody who lives in the present and has no past hang-ups always gives straight answers to straight questions because they have no reason to do otherwise.

I point this out as I've noticed The Sasquhanna Hat Company effect, interferes with some threads and posts on this site and wanted to run it by others, who might have been affected by it here as well as elsewhere, to see if anybody else had any thoughts on the subject.

That's a very interesting question, and it certainly begs a straight answer.

It delves into some of the major issues of human behavior that are quite vexing, but quite often have to do more than anything with environment. I know that when I'm in certain places the people involved or even just the ambiance of the place can affect my ability to concentrate on what is going on and the subject at hand.

In many cases I look for ways to alter the environment. For example, if it is a casual situation and I am outside, I wear sunglasses and a baseball hat. This not only reduces the painful eyestrain (I wear contacts), but also cools my brain so that I can think more clearly.

Hats come in many types of course, and baseball hats are not the best for cooling, but I find the assistance they give in blocking the sun does help significantly. I prefer the snug, low profile kind as opposed to the poofy kind that usually leave a big airspace above your head. And of course lighter colored ones reflect more heat.

Sometimes I get in trouble with the logo though. I can't wear my Giants cap in LA, so I have to have several. But most people don't care much and it can be a great conversation starter.

But in general, I really don't go for hats much.

You can pick out actors by the glazed look that comes into their eyes when the conversation wanders away from themselves, :shrug:

Buffy

There is a time and place for everything. Pick your spots wisely, to be selfish, to be logical, to be truthful, to play a fool. Life is an art.
That reminds me very little of the time that I was cornered by a Philosophy professor and had to make the choice to either be truthful, or to play a fool. His name was Harry Baare, and I chose to tell the truth and tell him I thought his name was funny. Every time I thought of his name in class, I would giggle, and this inevitably interrupted whoever was speaking. I remember once giggling in the middle of Alice Pillacci's answer to Harry Baare's question, "what is the good?", causing her to lose track of what she was saying. After class, she castigated me for causing her undue humilation and probably missing out on a B grade. I realized that I had missed out on the opportunity to ask her out, and over a second bottle of beer, tell her that she looked just like Sophia Loren, while I slipped my arm around her shoulders. Sophia Loren was the second woman on the silver screen and TV that I had a crush on when I was a teenager. Annette Funicello was the first. I've always wondered at my obsession for large-bosomed women with Italian names. My mother was certainly neither. However, when I broke my leg at the age of 16 and had to spend 3 months in a bodycast, I had a night nurse who was beautiful, looked Italian and had the last name of Galicia. I thought it was Italian, but it turned out she was Portugese. She was the very first woman that I ever asked to explain sex to me.

And she wouldn't give me a straight answer either! :lol:

Hi Paigetheoracle,

I point this out as I've noticed The Sasquhanna Hat Company effect, interferes with some threads and posts on this site and wanted to run it by others, who might have been affected by it here as well as elsewhere, to see if anybody else had any thoughts on the subject.

The more spontaneous an answer is usually means less inhibition and more honest answers.

The relationship between spontaneity and inhibition - Elsevier

by DA Kipper - 2009

The first explored the relationship between spontaneity, as measured by the ... positive because they convey honesty and openness, and negative because they ... Such an attribution seems consistent with recent research concerning the ...

ScienceDirect - The Arts in Psychotherapy : The relationship between spontaneity and inhibition

As predicted, the results show that spontaneity correlated positively with the performance on the third part of the Press Test, which measures the ability to ward off distractions and is related to the executive functions of the brain.

Hi Paigetheoracle,

The more spontaneous an answer is usually means less inhibition and more honest answers.

ScienceDirect - The Arts in Psychotherapy : The relationship between spontaneity and inhibition

I think this relates to my thread on humour in the psychology forum. Censorship stops truth and truth in this context is understanding what is meant. I believe that when people let down their guard and really see the meaning of something like a joke, they react spontaneously by laughing etc. but when they don't want to know (fear what the answer is in relation to their beliefs about reality etc), they clam up and say that they don't know what you're on about and don't 'want' to know. The simple answer (truth) leads to relief and letting go of the prejudicial reaction or fear.

If one has an angle in mind, it is harder to tell the truth, since the truth is straight and not angular. The angle could be to spare someone's feelings, stay within the ambience of a mood, stay within the parameters of PC, gain an advantage, kiss the right butt, be seen as cool or smart, not to commit oneself to a point, etc. If none of these or other angles matter, one can shoot straight from the hip, without angular deflection of the truth. The angles are connected to games people play and the games other people might expect you to play.

As a template of angles, PC will not allow one to shoot from the hip, but will expect you to slant truth along a given angle. The template is based on male-female angles. A woman prefers the truth, but primarily if that truth satisfies her expectations. If she prefers a guy who is a blond, being truthful, that one has brown hair, will not win any points. The truth she wants to hear is blond. The needed angle, may be to tell her the truth, she wishes to hear; blond, even if your hair is brown. This is PC in a nut shell. Ideally, one can shoot straight if one's truth=expectations. But if not, lie to meet expectations does better than truth that does not meet them.

I always liked to shoot from the hip but I never realised I held a smoking gun. The fairy tale of Hell had me spouting truth as fast as I could think it subversion just would not do as I would roast and as a wee boy the very smell singed my nostrils acrid with fear.

The foundation of my truth was a ridiculous lie, but I learnt to speak it so well you'd never see that the seams that held it together were actually cracks.

I thought truth was the greatest thing but the cops lied when I stood in the dock and the truth I spelt out sent me down for some time. The truth has seen me assualted by big stupid men who asked for opinions they didn't really want. The truth saw me ostracised, outcast and outclassed by perfect little liars.

But the thing about the truth is, it's better than the fiction.

Good one liners win the fight every time, even when you're getting your *** kicked.

With these truths I like to use a bit of poetic liscence. :shrug:

The foundation of my truth was a ridiculous lie, but I learnt to speak it so well you'd never see that the seams that held it together were actually cracks.

I thought truth was the greatest thing but the cops lied when I stood in the dock and the truth I spelt out sent me down for some time. The truth has seen me assualted by big stupid men who asked for opinions they didn't really want. The truth saw me ostracised, outcast and outclassed by perfect little liars.

But the thing about the truth is, it's better than the fiction.

Good one liners win the fight every time, even when you're getting your *** kicked.

With these truths I like to use a bit of poetic liscence. ;)

I wonder why people do ask for your opinion when they don't want it?