Science Forums

The iPad....

Buffy

Will you buy an iPad?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Will you buy an iPad?

• Yes! I'm already in line at the Apple Store with my iPhone!
    • Yes, but I'll wait until version 3.0
    • No, It'll be a piece of junk. I'll buy the Blacktablet...
    • Steve Jobs is a Nazi-Commie-Libtard-Atheist-AGW-Supporter! Never! Even though I really want one!

well my boss has gone both ways, both to the extreme and normal, so i think it depends on how annoyed you are at that glare spot and how intense the light behind you is, as well as the angling. Oh the other thing he said is that the screen gets dirty really quickly, after just a couple of hours of using it, its gets covered in fingerprints and smears (regardless of how clean you keep your hands) and that can annoy you a little bit, especially if you use the pad for prolonged period of time... and there's no stylus.

Z i am not arguing you, it is a great little device if you have the money to spend on a toy, if i wasn't so broke and had money to spend, like my boss, i would totally get one just to play with one, but, and you will agree, there are much more useful toys you can buy for the money that will be better suited for more tasks that one would want out of a computer... like an actual tablet pc..

...Oh the other thing he said is that the screen gets dirty really quickly, after just a couple of hours of using it, its gets covered in fingerprints and smears (regardless of how clean you keep your hands) and that can annoy you a little bit, especially if you use the pad for prolonged period of time... and there's no stylus.

Yep, I think a matte display would work better for them for exactly these reasons. However, once again, I have had no issues inside, nor outside in the shade. The only time I have trouble/annoyances is outside on a sunny day.

... but, and you will agree, there are much more useful toys you can buy for the money that will be better suited for more tasks that one would want out of a computer... like an actual tablet pc..

Respectfully, no, I won't agree. The ipad does everything I want out of a tablet PC. I have used by laptop once since I bought my iPad (I used to use it daily).

For ME it is cheaper than a laptop, does many things better than could be done on the laptop, and is more convenient.

I get that it isn't for you, and that is ok. But to dismiss a piece of technology because you don't see the advantages (or they don't exist for you) and then say that it isn't useful for ME seems a bit odd.

I know a number of people who have the 3G model on order as well. One will be using it for business in addition to many of the applications I am using it for. It is an extremely useful product for many people. But I do understand you don't find it so for your needs. That's cool, just don't assume it isn't useful for me, because it isn't for you;)

I've had one of those plastic protectors that overlay the iPhone screen ever since I got it. They cost a lot ($10 each in 2-packs at the Apple Store), but they manage to not interfere with the touch reaction, and while glossy, they seem to cut down significantly on the glare because they refract the light just slightly. They even have a cool mirrored version that works like the LG phone screen...

I suspect you'll see these for the iPad pretty darned quick. Most of my friends who do not have this plastic protector have nastily scratched (or broken!) screens!

An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory, :Exclamati

Buffy

I've had one of those plastic protectors that overlay the iPhone screen ever since I got it. They cost a lot ($10 each in 2-packs at the Apple Store), but they manage to not interfere with the touch reaction, and while glossy, they seem to cut down significantly on the glare because they refract the light just slightly. They even have a cool mirrored version that works like the LG phone screen...

I suspect you'll see these for the iPad pretty darned quick.

Boom...http://www.meritline.com/protector-guard-apple-ipad---p-42680.aspx

it's listed as a matte screen protector which might help with glare and fingerprint issues mentioned. For $2.99 each it's a no-brainer.

The main shortcoming I find with nearly all touchscreen devices designed in the last 5 years is their lack of fine pointing resolution. Few allow fine pointing using a thin-tipped stylus – 3rd-party stylus for the ipad, like this one, are essentially fat fingertips on sticks – so even if they were capable of reporting touch location precisely, the user can’t accurately see the centerpoint of the patch he’s touching. In short, unlike even the 200 pixel-wide Palm handhelds on the 1990s, they can’t be used as graphics input tablets, one of the main things I want in anything with the words “computer” and “tablet” in its name. If you wan’t to sketch in more than a child finger-painting manner using an iPad, you’d need a separate graphics tablet – assuming you can install an app to use one – which strikes me as ridiculous. :rotfl:

After a little web research, I’m vague on the details of the touchscreen hardware iPhone/Pod/Pads currently and formerly use. 1st generation iPhones were widely reported to use FTIR, while current 3rd generation ones and the iPad use some sort of surface capacitance membrane – which seems to me somewhat odd and a step backwards, as FTIR touchscreens, having no glued-on membrane, are essentially unscratchable, and should work with gloved hands (handy if you’re using them in a medical setting, for example). :shrug:

Since I understood the pointing resolution limitation of 1st gen iPhones to be due to the use of FTIR, it seems at least possible that this limitation in 3rd gen ones and iPads are due to software, not hardware, suggesting that a sufficiently low-level software change could make one into a true graphics tablet.

:evil: Perhaps what I want in a tablet computer might be best realized by replacing the back of a Wacom Cintiq 12WX with a netbook board, disk, and battery. That feat of virtuoso (and well beyond my personal experience/ability :() hardware modifying and system building done, I’d have, for I’d guess about US$1500 and a few thousand hours of hard labor, a box the equal of that dawn-of-civilization standard, pen and paper, the mid-20th century killer device, the TV, plus all the 21st century’s network-y goodness, that would not only make me an intensely happy user, but turn iPoddists and netbookers green with envy – with possible exception of weight, which I guess would be around 1.8 kg / 4 pounds, about 2.5 times that of an iPad, and the possible necessity of wearing freaky stylus thingies on your fingers to type normally on it. :)

A natural question, though, is if this is such a nifty idea, why aren’t commercial versions wiping the marketplace with the likes of Asus, Acer, and Apple even as I speak? :shrug: And why, 30+ years into the era of personal computers, is there still not a clearly superior computer replacement for pen and paper?

The main shortcoming I find with nearly all touchscreen devices designed in the last 5 years is their lack of fine pointing resolution.

Excellent point.

There are some very interesting, and fairly detailed art apps for the ipad. I am not sure how they handle that.

I do find it easier to deal with on the ipad than the iphone as you simply have more real estate, but it is still an issue.

I never noticed this much, but my situation is very uncommon. I have a hereditary familial tremor which messes up both my handwriting and often makes me miss the spot I am trying to hit. So for me, a finer level of resolution would probably work poorly.

And why, 30+ years into the era of personal computers, is there still not a clearly superior computer replacement for pen and paper?

Very good question:)

Most of my friends who do not have this plastic protector have nastily scratched (or broken!) screens!

Never saw the point in having a screen shield on the iphone, how do you manage to scratch a glass screen, i've had and still have 2 iphones, i use one to this day, daily, as a glorified ipod, i have upgraded to motorolla droid already, i have never had a screen protector, and i keep the phone in the same pocket with my car keys, and i don't have a single scratch on my iphone screen, case is scratched on one corner a little, from the time i dropped it, but how do you scratch a glass screen, i haven't the faintest clue...

yeah, i would really consider the ipad if it came with a wacom tablet-like touchscreen, with even the low end overlays that can report 256 levels of pressure sensitivity and up to a 60 degree angle, but can still be used with a finger or a stylus... and are very precise... (though my wacom tablet has 65535 levels of sensitivity with up to a 60 degree angle detection, i loves it )

...how do you manage to scratch a glass screen...i have never had a screen protector, and i keep the phone in the same pocket with my car keys...case is scratched on one corner a little, from the time i dropped it, but how do you scratch a glass screen, i haven't the faintest clue...

"Car keys in a pocket" is definitely not the same as "emery boards, nail files, tweezers, wire brushes, scissors, multi-tools, flashlights, lipstick, cans of coke zero and other nasty objects jostling around in a giant handbag that's dropped three dozen times a day." "Dropping it" is the number one culprit, and it sure depends on what you drop it on...and of course when it comes to dropping an iPhone, it's buttered on the glass side, if you get my drift....

Okay, so maybe you *have* to be a girl to scratch an iPhone, but honest, it does happen....

As you grow older, it becomes harder to feel 100 percent happy; you learn all the things that can go wrong; you become superstitious about tempting fate, about bringing disaster upon your life by accidentally feeling too good one day, :shrug:

Buffy

"emery boards, nail files, tweezers, wire brushes, scissors, multi-tools, flashlights, lipstick, cans of coke zero and other nasty objects jostling around in a giant handbag that's dropped three dozen times a day."

Aaaah after all these years of purposefully trying to ignore the issue of what it is that women care in their hand-bags, you revealed the secret... one more secret revealed... thanks to buffy now i have almost no secrets that i really didn't need to know about, about women :shrug: (das ok, i still :shrug: ya)

In my defense, i have a multi tool on my car keys (leatherman with wire strippers), and by dropping it, i mean i was on a ladder and i dopped the pone edge down onto a stone floor, hard enough for the phone to bounce back up over a foot in the air and hear the case crack...

I also didnt say it was impossible, i just think that if you spend a couple of hundred bucks on the phone, you should take care of it, but then you are talking about women, who probably don't really care about it because they didn't pay for the phone anyways, they don't even really know how to use it for anything other then calling and texting and "honey" will get them a new phone if they brake this one anyways... (i don't have a beef to settle, this is a bit of a stereotype, i am merely stating some personal observations)

he 3G model should take care of the Internet access
ofcourse, for 12 easy payments of $29.99 per year

...but then you are talking about women, who probably don't really care about it because they didn't pay for the phone anyways, they don't even really know how to use it for anything other then calling and texting and "honey" will get them a new phone if they brake this one anyways... (i don't have a beef to settle, this is a bit of a stereotype, i am merely stating some personal observations)

alexander smart guy! He make wheel with rock! Bonk girlfriend on head with club and drag her back to cave!

"a bit of a stereotype"...:rant:

Classic! :clue:

A bit :turtle: :hihi:!

I'm trying to teach the cavemen to play Scrabble. It's uphill work. The only word they know is "unh", and they don't know how to spell it, :photos:

Buffy