Science Forums

Whyleds for plants

Hello,

I just want to promote our website regarding LED for plant growing, LED for plant growing is new trend for some of today's agricultural system,

it is first experimented on NASA research on how they will find a new source for light aside from the sun. Now, with their latest discoveries,

they have proven that LED for plant growing could help us making our plant, crops or other agriculture more effective even when there's no

sun light. Please visit us at:

I have not wasted money on an LED propagation light in a few years, perhaps these things have been addressed by now.

1) Most importantly, LED lights are nowhere near powerful enough to be used as the primary lighting source for growing plants indoors. I have yet to see a long-lasting LED array that produces enough luminance at a reasonable distance from the emitter.

2) The pre-assembled units I had seen available a few years ago suffered from a poorly designed heat sink and consequently the emitters did not typically last anywhere near as long as advertised when used as a group in the prefabricated lamp assembly.

How about growing plants outside...? rather then mutilating poor plants inside, in pots and with LEDs all around, depriving plants of even the most basic communication to their peers, breeding social plant monsters, like that flower in Jumanji, breeding indoor loners who have no idea about the real plant life and wouldn't even know what to do in the real world, how to hunt food or reproduce...? There's kind of a reason they grow outside, naturally.

My indoor plants aren't mutilated. Of course, they take available sunlight from the windows rather than LEDs.

I've considered getting some indoor growing going (with LEDs, or other), but after some calculations, it is WAY to expensive to justify. And as JMJones mentioned, LEDs don't really cut it in terms of lumens and bandwidth.

I have seen some success using LEDs for seedlings in an enclosed box, but the same, if not better, can be achieved with a cheap fluorescent.

Ok, then specifically I would like to know why LED lights are a "good alternative" to high pressure sodium lights. The nursery I work at spends thousands of dollars a month on electricity to run HPS lamps for day-length sensitive plants and to increase the growing season of saplings. After a few tests of different products, we concluded that the LED fad is simply a money making scheme to rip-off the uneducated. Why should I think your promotion of what is clearly an inadequate light for plant growth is any different? Have any of the deficiencies I identified in my first post been addressed by the industry yet?