Science Forums

Holy books illustration

A23

You can get a modern illustrated bible from any christian book store or site. But, unless you're trying to teach fables to a child buying such a thing would be a travesty. For real illustrations, and I should add that I have trouble posting this,

Apocalypse (Dürer) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

because I've read some of Durer's writings which I found very distasteful for its antisemitism and the woodcuts remind me of it. But, for a late medieval, early renaissance Christian, it's—I suppose—to be expected.

Any case, Durer did about a dozen woodcuts illustrating the Revelation of St. John which are very appropriate to the book for their absolutely medieval quality—something I don't think you'll find in later Renaissance illustrations. For example, Jean LeClerc did a series for The Revelation which is better-illustrated, but not as dirty and raw if you know what I mean.

Doing a google image search for 'Durer apocalypse' would probably find a site with them all in sequence. For a hard copy you could try... uh... British Museum shop online - Durer :crazy:

~modest

• 1 year later...