Science Forums

Inter-spectrum argument

Luke

Perhaps I misunderstand the question. But I can tell you that since I am colorblind, I know for a fact that I see colors differently than most people. However, through testing, one can determine generally what wavelengths are perceived differently. I do not think there can any longer be scientific support for the inverted spectrum argument as described in wikipedia. (ETA: when applied to color perception)

For example I suffer from deuteranopia

Deuteranopia (1% of males): Lacking the medium-wavelength cones, those affected are again unable to distinguish between colors in the green-yellow-red section of the spectrum. Their neutral point is at a slightly longer wavelength, 498 nm. The deuteranope suffers the same hue discrimination problems as the protanope, but without the abnormal dimming. The names red, orange, yellow, and green really mean very little to him aside from being different names that every one else around him seems to be able to agree on. Similarly, violet, lavender, purple, and blue, seem to be too many names to use logically for hues that all look alike to him. This is one of the rarer forms of colorblindness making up about 1% of the male population, also known as Daltonism after John Dalton. (Dalton's diagnosis was confirmed as deuteranopia in 1995, some 150 years after his death, by DNA analysis of his preserved eyeball.) Deuteranopic unilateral dichromats report that with only their deuteranopic eye open, they see wavelengths below the neutral point as blue and those above it as yellow.

For one of the best color-blindness tests I have come across online, try this site:

color blind test by jean jouannic opticien