Science Forums

Is the swine flu vaccine safe?

Larv

The fatalities made up a minute fraction of at least 65 million doses of swine flu vaccines which have been administered, said the WHO, citing data from 16 countries.

For every 10,000 doses of vaccines administered, only one report of adverse effect had been logged.

Of every 100 reports of adverse effects, five are serious cases such as death, the WHO said.

More than 6,750 people have died worldwide since the virus appeared in April, according to WHO data.

Without vaccinations: 6,750 dead

From vaccinations: 65,000,000/10,000*5%=325 "serious cases such as death"

So, statistically, it's much better to get the vaccine.

Without vaccinations: 6,750 dead

From vaccinations: 65,000,000/10,000*5%=325 "serious cases such as death"

So, statistically, it's much better to get the vaccine.

Statistically, does the Swine Flu shot actually prevent the swine flu? Not enough data yet.

Thats 325 deaths of people who took the shot who didn't have the flu, but took the shot.

How is that much better?

You're also using Doseage availability numbers. Also not included is future sickness ramifications that haven't appeared yet.

:(

Statistically, does the Swine Flu shot actually prevent the swine flu? Not enough data yet.

The theory behind vaccination is sound. I've not heard of anyone getting vaccinated and then getting swine flu. Have you?

Thats 325 deaths of people who took the shot who didn't have the flu, but took the shot.

How is that much better?

Well, for them it was a crap shot and they might have died anyway from getting the flu without the vaccine. But the amount of people that die from the flu each year is much higher than 325.

You're also using Doseage availability numbers. Also not included is future sickness ramifications that haven't appeared yet.

How am I supposed to include data that is not available yet? ;)

In a typical year, approximately 5 to 20 percent of the population gets the seasonal flu and approximately 36,000 flu-related deaths are reported.

This year, the H1N1 flu virus may cause a more dangerous flu season with a lot more people getting sick, being hospitalized and dying than during a regular flu season.

About the Flu

So if vaccines aren't 100% safe, why risk them?

Approved vaccines -- including the 2009 H1N1 swine flu vaccine -- are calculated to be much, much less risky than the diseases they prevent. For example, out of every million people who get a flu shot, one or two will get a serious neurological reaction called Guillain-Barre syndrome (GBS).

But flu itself causes serious problems, including GBS, in far more than two in a million cases. And since a large proportion of the population will get swine flu, the vaccine risk is far smaller than the disease risk.

H1N1 Swine Flu Vaccine Side Effects, Safety

The risk of dying from the swine flu vaccine is much lower than the risk of dying from the swine flu. If you have stats that show otherwise, please post them.

I've had flu shots all my life and so far no side effects at all. To suggest it's better to get the swine flu than get a vaccination is pig headedness at it's worst. The wide spread conspiracy bullshit against vaccinations has resulted on many deaths and has resulted in a resurgence in diseases that were once almost extinct. the polio vaccines had side effects but they weren't as bad as the effects of polio, how long should we have waited to make sure it was safe? How many people would have died of polio while we waited?

Do you have any source to confirm this? to make such a claim you need to support it with real data not conspiracy theorists silliness.

How is that much better?

Compared to 6,750 dead who got the flu it is better.

So we should never take vaccinations ? How can you know the ramifications soon enough to make any vaccine usable? If you wait there is no point. Your next breath might contain a toxin that kills you 10 years from now, want to hold your breath until you find out for sure it's safe to breath?

This is why I ain't takin' no flu shot!

I don't trust the medical-pharmaceutical complex to keep us healthy any more than I trust the industrial-military complex to keep us out of war.

Are you taking your flu shot? So how is it working for you?

It's working quite well larv, hows that flu bug treating you? BTW, the article you site says only 5 serious cases of side effects was observed per 1,000,000 doses. Safer than driving to the grocery store!

I've had flu shots all my life and so far no side effects at all. To suggest it's better to get the swine flu than get a vaccination is pig headedness at it's worst. The wide spread conspiracy bullshit against vaccinations has resulted on many deaths and has resulted in a resurgence in diseases that were once almost extinct. the polio vaccines had side effects but they weren't as bad as the effects of polio, how long should we have waited to make sure it was safe? How many people would have died of polio while we waited?

Do you have any source to confirm this? to make such a claim you need to support it with real data not conspiracy theorists silliness.

Compared to 6,750 dead who got the flu it is better.

So we should never take vaccinations ? How can you know the ramifications soon enough to make any vaccine usable? If you wait there is no point. Your next breath might contain a toxin that kills you 10 years from now, want to hold your breath until you find out for sure it's safe to breath?

I wasn't suggesting anything. I was merely asking questions.

Scientists are skeptics. Right??

I wasn't comparing anything else to swine flu vaccinations.

I just got a Tetnus shot.

How can you make a blanket statement like you just did??

I know. because you're not any better or smarter than anyone else here. You just jumped to the conclussion I was making a conspiratorial statement.

Why?

Because you do. Because you're human and fallible. Because you like to assert your views, and quickly try to discredit anyone who doesn't agree by throwing the conspiracy word around.

There is no real hard data yet. So let us know when its published. I was just going by the BS numbers Freztar threw out. He doesn't know dick-**** more about any hard data numbers than anyone. Just speculative probability numbers.

So STFU about "show me data".. You show us data then (there isn't much)

I am as so far undecided about the swine flu.

For all accounts its a pretty mild flu strain. As a young healthy individual, I might want to wait and see what happens.

Did you ever try thinking from another persons perspective?

My son had swine flu, it was hell for almost two weeks. You go for it, let me know how it works out. No you were suggesting swine flu vaccine didn't work or that is was too dangerous to justify getting the vaccine. I used larvs own source to show how any danger from the swine flu vaccine was exaggerated. You are in more danger when you shower or walk down stairs. you made the wild claims, back them up or shut up.

Avoiding Accidents at Home | S4K

Home safety is no accident. Tragically, more than 28,000 deaths and more than 6.8 million injuries occurred from injuries in the home in 1997. Accidental injuries also are the number 1 killer of children in the United States.

How does that compare to deaths from swine flu vaccine ?

Raccoon, Your post is offensive. Please refrain from using inappropriate language (even in acronym form). Also, Moon and Rac, telling someone to shut up is seen as rude and against the rules. Play the ball, not the player.

On topic, why are the numbers I supplied "speculative probability numbers"? Do you have numbers that suggest otherwise? Please support your claims, per site rules.

My son had swine flu, it was hell for almost two weeks. You go for it, let me know how it works out. No you were suggesting swine flu vaccine didn't work or that is was too dangerous to justify getting the vaccine. I used larvs own source to show how any danger from the swine flu vaccine was exaggerated. You are in more danger when you shower or walk down stairs. you made the wild claims, back them up or shut up.

Avoiding Accidents at Home | S4K

How does that compare to deaths from swine flu vaccine ?

You show me from my first post how I said it didn't work??

Just scroll up and actually read what I asked.

See, obviously you were using emotion from your own experience. Not scientific data.

I gotta' call you out when you try to call me out. see how it works?

Raccoon, Your post is offensive. Please refrain from using inappropriate language (even in acronym form). Also, Moon and Rac, telling someone to shut up is seen as rude and against the rules. Play the ball, not the player.

On topic, why are the numbers I supplied "speculative probability numbers"? Do you have numbers that suggest otherwise? Please support your claims, per site rules.

Where did you get your Numbers?

you pulled those numbers out of thin air.

Why don't you post where you got your claim first? before we trash them?

per site rules

;) >>

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/vaccination/vaccine_safety.htm

http://vaers.hhs.gov/resources/2009H1N1Summary_Nov19.pdf

VAERS Summary:

As of November 13, 2009, 36.8 million doses of 2009 H1N1 influenza vaccine had been shipped to healthcare providers in the United States.

As of November 13, 2009, VAERS had received 2365 reports related to 2009 H1N1

influenza vaccination.

The vast majority (95%) of adverse events reported to VAERS after receiving the 2009 H1N1 influenza vaccine have not involved serious health problems or outcomes (e.g., they encompass things like soreness at the vaccine injection site).

Of the 2365 reports, 116 (5%) were reports that involved what would be considered serious health events.

The number of reports involving what would be considered serious health events (i.e., life threatening or results in death, major disability, abnormal conditions at birth, hospitalization, or extension of an existing hospitalization)* is similar to those historically seen after distribution of a similar number of seasonal flu vaccine doses.

Among the 2365 reports of adverse events, there were 8 reports of death.

The 8 VAERS reports that involve deaths are under review by CDC, FDA and the states where the reported deaths occurred. Preliminary findings indicate that there does not appear to be common cause or pattern (such as similarities in age, gender, geographic location, illness surrounding death, or underlying medical conditions) to suggest that these deaths were associated with the vaccine. These cases are under further review pending additional medical records (e.g. autopsy reports, medical files).

VAERS has received 6 reports of Guillian-Barré syndrome (GBS), for which follow-up assessments are underway. In the United States, about 80-160 cases of GBS are expected to occur each week, regardless of vaccination.

Lots of folk have done a good job of documenting the relative risks of getting or not getting an H1N1 swine flue vaccination. Science strongly recommends you should get vaccinated, especially if you’re in a vulnerable population – very young, old, pregnant, chronically ill – and people who care for people in these populations.

I’ll focus instead on making sure readers understand an important, unusual quality of this flu season and its vaccines.

Is the swine flu vaccine safe?

Are you taking your flu shot? So how is it working for you?

The flu shot and the H1N1 swine flu shot are not the same thing.

This year, we have the unusual situation of there being two flu vaccinations (I prefer “vaccination” to shot, as not all vaccination are delivered by hypodermic – there are also nasal inhalers, and, in principle, transdermal ointments and patches, though I don’t believe flu vaccine has been much delivered transdermally) – the regular, seasonal vaccine, and a special, monovalent H1N1 vaccine.

This happened essentially due to the H1N1 flu virus variant appearing too late for it’s unique genes to be added to the regular seasonal flu vaccine. The regular vaccine is meant to protect against all the severe flu viruses a person could encounter that year. Because new flu viruses genes appear continuously, vaccine must be reformulated each year, based on an expert guess based on trends of the previous year what flu genes will appear next year. In the case of H1N1 “swine” flu, this guessing game failed, and the appropriate H1N1 genes weren’t included in the regular vaccine – or, more precisely, the H1N1 genes that were included, those of the A/H1N1 variant, didn’t match those of the actual virus that appeared, H1N1/09, closely enough to provide immunity to it.

Next years seasonal vaccine should include H1N1 – and, hopefully, whatever the swine flu evolves into next year, so once again, one regular vaccination will be all that’s needed.

Back to the original question,

Are you taking your flu shot?

Since I’m not in a patient care setting (I work in an office, not a hospital or clinic), don’t have any at-risk family or friends, am not at risk myself, and because there wasn’t enough of the H1N1 swine flu vaccine available for everyone in the at-risk population when it was available to me, I didn’t get it. Had it been in adequate supply, I would have, as by many accounts becoming sick with the swine flu can be awful, even for ordinarily healthy people