Science Forums

Why is Pleasure linked to Procreation?

Apes Anonymous

Those people are usually already offended by the rest of the evolutionary theory, and their opinion on the relationship between humans and the other great apes, does in my opinion not count, unless it is based on anatomical or molecular evidence.

Anyway, that controversy is as old as Darwin, or maybe even older, and it is no real controversy anymore. Linneaus grouped humans with great apes based on anatomical similarities, and he was a creationist (well, practically everyone was at that time).

Pleasure is linked to procreation to encourage breeding.

...I guess whoever decided that one didn't figure in what happens after marriage.

I kid. I kid.

Seriously though... enjoy breeding=more offspring=more of "your" species=more chances to get "it" right=natural selection

It is certainly a much more complicated matter than one gene, more than just pleasure in the sense of sensations on the genitals or during intercourse. There are many incentives, they vary from species to species and, in species like ours, they even vary in different communities.

A guy without a gal is a nerd. Apart from the social aspects any animal feels a lot better when activity is regular, but, even before experiencing this, there are instinctive drives which are reactions to some kind of stimulus. I've seen male dogs kept separate from females in heat, they actually suffer.

In many species, including some past hominids, males have to get past head-banging competition. Are they stupid? Contrary to what many a Feminist may say, no they aren't, they can't help it. Actually, in the clinical sense of stupid, yes they are, because of physiological effects. Competition can be fierce in many other ways and usually comes with stupidity, females not excluded. Look at adolescent girls and even older women; spite and malice, viscious gossip, in the old days they used to fling their purses across each other's faces. It's all part of the game.

Many genetic traits can bring a reproductive advantage, in some cases depending on circumstances. The selection game will then make traits more or less prevalent, just like traits that give other survival advantages or disadvantages. Even more, species such as ours have developed so there can be a desire to have offspring, independently of other drives. Even having easy birth control, we use it not always to totally avoid but rather to decide when and how many. Without this, birth control would cause extinction; instead it will more likely select genes that favour the desire to have children.

There's no point in oversimplifying.