Science Forums

Why should people who make policies, be required to know about the subject at stake!

what exactly is the "average parent"

Oh shush, it's the same concept as an "Average Joe", sure there are no average people, but there is a concept of an average person, and it is used to describe average people representing the biggest cluster of like-people, or in our case parents, in a society (not this differs greatly from society to society, and average parents in america would represnt only a percentage of 28.7% of faimilies (this is the case for married couples with children), ofcourse we are only at this point looking at families that are comprized of two US citizens, of those only middle class families, of those only the ones where at least one of the parents has been or will be married and divorced at least once in their lifetime, of those only the ones in which at least one of the parents holds a white collar office jobs, of those only those who made roughly 32k last year; its scary that average parent is techically represented in maybe a percent, probably less of all the families in the US)... Average Joe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I agree, Turtle, that law enforcement is not ones who should post this, but i think that law enforcement should provide links to resources for parents to investigate things like this. Just the same as they should provide links to real resources about drugs *caugh*Erowid*/caugh*, and not just dumb phalise propaganda (like "smoke weed once, and you'll be hooked on hard drugs for the rest of your life" nonsense, or the "if your kid listens to hard music, he might be a social outcast who is planning to kill himself and hurt other people around him")

Oh shush, it's the same concept as an "Average Joe", sure there are no average people, but there is a concept of an average person, and it is used to describe average people representing the biggest cluster of like-people, or in our case parents, in a society (not this differs greatly from society to society, and average parents in america would represnt only a percentage of 28.7% of faimilies (this is the case for married couples with children), ofcourse we are only at this point looking at families that are comprized of two US citizens, of those only middle class families, of those only the ones where at least one of the parents has been or will be married and divorced at least once in their lifetime, of those only the ones in which at least one of the parents holds a white collar office jobs, of those only those who made roughly 32k last year; its scary that average parent is techically represented in maybe a percent, probably less of all the families in the US)... Average Joe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

your own link contradicts you. >>

...While some individual attributes are easily identified as being average, such as the median income, other characteristics, such as family arrangements may not be identified as being average. In 2000 for example no single household arrangement constituted more than 30% of total households. Married couples with no children were the most common constituting 28.7% of households. It would nonetheless be inaccurate to state that the average American lives in a childless couple arrangement as 71.3% do not. ...

I agree, Turtle, that law enforcement is not ones who should post this, but i think that law enforcement should provide links to resources for parents to investigate things like this. Just the same as they should provide links to real resources about drugs *caugh*Erowid*/caugh*, and not just dumb phalise propaganda (like "smoke weed once, and you'll be hooked on hard drugs for the rest of your life" nonsense, or the "if your kid listens to hard music, he might be a social outcast who is planning to kill himself and hurt other people around him")

again no. this is not the business of law enforcement. :eek_big:

Law enforcement agency - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

...To enable a LEA to prevent, detect, and investigate non compliance with laws, the LEA is endowed with powers by its governing body which are not available to non LEA subjects of a governing body. Typically, a LEA is empowered to varying degrees to:

►collect information about subjects in the LEA's jurisdiction

►intrusively search for information and evidence related to the non compliance with a law

►seize evidence of non compliance with a law

►seize property and assets from subjects

►direct subjects to provide information related to the non compliance with a law

arrest and detain subjects, depriving them of their liberty, but not incarcerate subjects, for alleged non complaince with a law

►lawfully deceive subjects

These powers are not available to subjects other than LEAs within the LEA's jurisdiction and are typically subject to judicial and civil overview.

Usually, these powers are only allowed when it can be shown that a subject is probably already not complying with a law. ...

hehe, this is hilarious.

Use of a new, unusual vocabulary, heavy with computer terms, satanic phrases, sexual references or a sudden interest in related hard rock or satanic oriented posters, music, etc.

:):roll:

This from people who think that rock is still the "devils music", apparently they have never listened to death metal... And putting "computer terms" next to "satanic phrases" as if they go hand in hand.

i suggest finding a dedicated, yet youngish & computer savvy, smart-***

ooh! Pick Me!!!1!!11!

to rewrite a good set of parental guidelines for childrens' safe computer use

Internet Safety Tips!

1. Knowledge is your best chance to defend against Internet threats.

2. Use google to research anything unknown.

3. Censorship doesn't solve anything.

(And for the children)

4. Clear your cache!

hehe, this is hilarious.

:xparty::roll:

This from people who think that rock is still the "devils music", apparently they have never listened to death metal... And putting "computer terms" next to "satanic phrases" as if they go hand in hand.

ooh! Pick Me!!!1!!11!

Internet Safety Tips!

1. Knowledge is your best chance to defend against Internet threats.

2. Use google to research anything unknown.

3. Censorship doesn't solve anything.

(And for the children)

4. Clear your cache!

dude!!! you freakin rock!! well writ. may your Internet Safety Tips! spread like a virus far & wide. ;)

on reading it, i decided to google the phrase "Use of a new, unusual vocabulary, heavy with computer terms, satanic phrases, sexual references" and got the following e-trail. (i didn't follow it, but i know a trail when i smell one.) :) :cheer:

Use of a new, unusual vocabulary, heavy with computer terms, satanic phrases, sexual references - Google Search

Turtle, sorry on the mess-up with the numbers, i could fix it, but i'd rather just say that i messed up and spend time talking about something else.

again no. this is not the business of law enforcement.

Well, but this could be said about a lot of, what government does today. Federal government, for example should not be involved in regulation of substances, public education system, collecting or deciding to collect revenue in forms of social security, medicare, income tax, should not be involved in any market trade, federal loans to anyone other then other countries, regulating religion or personal beliefs. This is ofcourse aside from the all-time favorites of "promoting world democracy" by jamming it down their throats, building foreign military bases, and taking over countries and regulating their governments, as well as backing their financial systems... Also federal government has no business creating federal law enforcement agencies, like the FBI, DEA, etc, at least not in the way that they act today anyways, it's pretty clearly omitted in the constitution, and there is a reason why this was done by the nation's founders, which i suggest the government officials flip through sometime to figure out what it is that the are frigging supposed to be responsible for.

So i totally agree that it should not be the business of law enforcement to address these issues, however as far as interconnection of resources is concerned, and looking out for the greater common, there is no reason that links to other branches of the state gov-t should not be present. It's not their job to inform though...

Turtle, sorry on the mess-up with the numbers, i could fix it, but i'd rather just say that i messed up and spend time talking about something else.

Well, but this could be said about a lot of, what government does today. So i totally agree that it should not be the business of law enforcement to address these issues, however as far as interconnection of resources is concerned, and looking out for the greater common, there is no reason that links to other branches of the state gov-t should not be present. It's not their job to inform though...

roger. you touch on what is the bigger issue, even if accidentally. the internet is relatively new to all agencies and their peeps and it's unreasonable to expect anyone/anywho/anywhat to follow protocols we haven't made yet. that the page in the op was removed says that at least someone was paying attention and, per se, now knows more about the subject.

~ :naughty:

...Federal government, for example should not be involved in regulation of substances, public education system, collecting or deciding to collect revenue in forms of social security, medicare, income tax, should not be involved in any market trade, federal loans to anyone other then other countries, ... Also federal government has no business creating federal law enforcement agencies, like the FBI, DEA, etc, at least not in the way that they act today anyways, it's pretty clearly omitted in the constitution, and there is a reason why this was done by the nation's founders, which i suggest the government officials flip through sometime to figure out what it is that the are frigging supposed to be responsible for.

mmmm...arguably, "it" is in the Constitution of the United States :salute: :irked: to whit:

Section 8

The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and

Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general

Welfare of the United States;

http://www.usconstitution.net/const.txt

..So i totally agree that it should not be the business of law enforcement to address these issues, ...

It's not their job to inform though. ...

in fact, as my earlier wiki link says, part of law enforcement's job is to

lawfully deceive subjects.
link

to decieve is to misinform. :umno:

i suggest it is the job of the "press" as referred to in Ammendmant 1 to inform the public. that is the responsibility that the press bears in return for freedom from laws abridging them.

Amendment 1

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or

prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or

of the press; ...

"press" is now a less definite word because we have the internet.

how did you get on this in the first place alex? enquiring minds want to know. :oh_really: