Science Forums

Fantastic Contraption

InfiniteNow

And from the Complicated to the very simple. "Around the Bend" using just a short rod and "In the Zone"

Fantastic Contraption: A fun online physics puzzle game

(you wouldn't believe the amount of tinkering it took to get this to work. Either the lower ball would move too slowly and wouldn't get out of the way in time, or the upper ball wouldn't hit the small ball right, causing it to stop short of the goal.)

And from the Complicated to the very simple. "Around the Bend" using just a short rod and "In the Zone"

(you wouldn't believe the amount of tinkering it took to get this to work. Either the lower ball would move too slowly and wouldn't get out of the way in time, or the upper ball wouldn't hit the small ball right, causing it to stop short of the goal.)

:naughty: :D :eek2: :eek2:

That is so awesome!

I *love* the simplistic models the best, and this, imho, is a show stopper! :)

Janus,

don't you have a job or something that occupies any of your time? :hyper:

WOW! That is ... WOW!

"unpossible" keeping it "In the Zone"

Janus,

I noticed on watching this execute several times, that there was a "loose" blue rod which was only connected to one wheel, and essentially just hung loose during the entire process. It is afixed to the rear wheel of the little cart on top of the sliding ramp.

I deleted that one rod.

It substantially (IMHO) improves the performance of your solution!!!! :hyper:

However, there is ALSO a short brown rod attached ONLY to that SAME wheel, and also appears to contribute nothing. Do NOT delete that one, or your solution will no longer be ITZ. :D :lol: :lol:

Janus,

I noticed on watching this execute several times, that there was a "loose" blue rod which was only connected to one wheel, and essentially just hung loose during the entire process. It is afixed to the rear wheel of the little cart on top of the sliding ramp.

I deleted that one rod.

It substantially (IMHO) improves the performance of your solution!!!! :hyper:

However, there is ALSO a short brown rod attached ONLY to that SAME wheel, and also appears to contribute nothing. Do NOT delete that one, or your solution will no longer be ITZ. :D :lol: :lol:

It took some tweaking to get this to work, and some of the adjustments had to be pretty fine. The blue rod was most likely left over from a previous tweak attempt. The "weight" of the cart had to be just right or it would get to the end of the ramp before the ramp reached the upper level. Once I got it to work right, I didn't want to touch it!