Science Forums

Homeschooling

RedX

I need help on making an outline for English. I am bad at making a outline. We are doing an argumentation essay. So I am pro homeschool?

Here the topic question: Does home schooling effectively prepare students to succeed in college or to enter the workforce?

Purpose: To explain to my audience about homeschooling.

Audience: Teacher and classmates

Tone: Serious and straightforward

Pattern of Development: Argumentation

Organization Approach: Chronological

Thesis:

I need help with the the roman numerals and subtopics.

I. Intro

A.

B.

II. (Topic)

A. (Suptopic)

B. (Subtopic)

III. (Topic)

A. (Subtopic)

B. (Subtopic)

IV. (topic)

A. (subtopic)

B. (Subtopic)

V. (topic)

A. (Subtopic)

B. (Subtopic)

The 1's and 2's of each of the a's and b's.

How about this:

I. Intro

***A. Intro

***B. Thesis

II. Supporting Argument #1

***A. Reasoning

***B. Statistics and Supporting Evidence

******1. Example

III. Supporting Argument #2

IV. Supporting Argument #3

V. Conclusion

***A. Summary

***B. Closing

(III. and IV. same as II.)

This is the typical five paragraph essay, but of course it will have to be tailored to your needs. Collect sources from books or journals to fill in the sub levels.

My teacher wants it

I. Intro

A.

B.

C. Thesis

II. Topic

A. Subtopic

B. Subtopic

It's the same as all the outline I miraculously made. I know how to write a good paper. I just need help on what to write for my topics for each roman numerals and subtopic. Then I would fill in the 1's and 2's myself and begin to write essay.

Today I tried and work on the topic but I still need some help.

Here it is:

I. Intro

A.Skills

B. Morals and Values

II. College

A. Classes

B. Extracurricular Activities

III. Social life

A. Family

B. Social Groups

IV. Workforce

A. (Need help with subtopic)

B. (Need help with subtopic)

V. Conclusion

A. (need help with subtopic)

B. (Need help with subtopic)

Thesis: Home school students excel in college and the workforce because they have the social skills required to accomplish their goals in the real world.

Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) in 2008 had 694,288 students in 1177 schools and a $19,986,000,000 budget. 60% of entering students graduate the four-year high school curriculum within six years. The California Academic Performance Index (CAPI) assays the average LAUSD high school graduate at 84 IQ. 111 LAUSD schools averaged CAPI 800 (96 IQ) or more overall in 2007.

How foul must an outline be not to champion home schooling?

LAUSD budgeted an additional $5.5 million for its 65,000 gifted and talented education students (GATE). That is $0.48/student-day. LAUSD budgeted an additional $689 million for 26,000 special-education students (retards and cripples). "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." Richard Feynman.

You cannot solve a problem with the thinking that created it.

Social activist, "

Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) in 2008 had 694,288 students in 1177 schools and a $19,986,000,000 budget. 60% of entering students graduate the four-year high school curriculum within six years. The California Academic Performance Index (CAPI) assays the average LAUSD high school graduate at 84 IQ. 111 LAUSD schools averaged CAPI 800 (96 IQ) or more overall in 2007.

How foul must an outline be not to champion home schooling?

LAUSD budgeted an additional $5.5 million for its 65,000 gifted and talented education students (GATE). That is $0.48/student-day. LAUSD budgeted an additional $689 million for 26,000 special-education students (retards and cripples). "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." Richard Feynman.

You cannot solve a problem with the thinking that created it.

Social activist, "

If I am affending someone then I apologize. I am just taking a side for my English class. Your source I see I will not discredit as a matter of fact I would like to know what is the name of the website of where you got this from. I'm also doing a group project essay and this info would probably good for research. But you know and correct me on the exact some famous people in the world that we know such as mathematicians and scientists all were self taugh and never went to an school. It took them a long time to figure out problem such as how fast the wind blow or measure the velocity of an object but they sure got it done.

But back to my topic. I still need help with those subtopics, please.:)

You write an outline like a computer program or a geometric proof. You can vertically arrange the outline in contingent logical progression and subsets thereof. You can flowchart it. What have you got, where are you going, how will you get there, where do you arrive? You build a skyscraper starting with the foundation not the third floor. Get the tools in your toolbox.

Homeschool your kids - certainly in Los Angeles. The data are from the LAUSD website, Wikipedia, and Los Angeles Times "California section" page B3, 05 September 2008. Look up the Belmont Learning Center. Who could believe 1) it cost a cool $1000 million overall to build a four-story high school (compare with the cost of the Sears Tower), and 2) it looks like this,

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3182/2841085503_8cf9ac5a1a.jpg

LAUSD - a new kind of incompetence.

Social Activist, 'WE MUST DO SOMETHING!"

Engineer, "We must do something pertinent."

<I>THE BELL CURVE</I> RINGS, AGAIN

The average IQ is wrong, for Whites are only 8.9% of the school population. The weighted IQ is 84.

If only home schooling really was about a quality education and not primarily religion and or race based, if only.

not fair really Moon, there are many reasons to homeschool your child that have nothing to do with religion or race. If you will recall, I had to pull my child out of the system last year. The teachers were horrible. One of his teachers did not even have her degree. Ridiculing, belittling and humiliating children with disabilities was what prompted me to remove him. Luckily for them, I did not remove their teeth with my fist

Generally speaking (& assuming that the student has no special needs), a public school has to be pretty bad to make home-schooling look good. Each of the teachers at public school has one (or a few) specialities that they know quite well -- prolly better than the average parent. And they have been trained how to teach -- prolly better than the average parent.

To expect that any parent would know ALL the subjects, from algebra to zoology, as well as a "good" public school teacher, AND have the same "teaching training", is expecting a LOT. What happens all too often in home-schooling is the parent(s) start taking shortcuts, and faking the progress reports.

I've seen a brother-sister (from an affluent family) who were home-schooled, and at the ages of 10 & 11 still could not read a Dick and Jane book, and could not deal with simple math. Normal kids. But OH!, how their mother bragged about their "social skills"!

Now, it's a whole 'nuther ball of wax if any of these conditions apply:

1. The student is physically unable to get around in the public school building.

2. The student is physically or emotionally unable to focus on studies for 6 hours a day.

3. The student has issues with hearing, seeing, speaking, or medical condition, etc.

4. The student requires more 1-on-1 teacher time than the public school can offer.

5. This particular public school just sucks big time.

In these conditions, home-schooling makes sense. But I would not expect the student to get the same 'depth' of education as public-schooled kids, all other factors being equal.

not fair really Moon, there are many reasons to homeschool your child that have nothing to do with religion or race. If you will recall, I had to pull my child out of the system last year. The teachers were horrible. One of his teachers did not even have her degree. Ridiculing, belittling and humiliating children with disabilities was what prompted me to remove him. Luckily for them, I did not remove their teeth with my fist

There are always exceptions but but most home schooling, at least in my area, have a lot more to do with not wanting kids to be taught lies like evolution or wanting kids to not have to go to school with those low lives of another race or social class. Really sad, both of my boys went to what is considered an inner city school, they managed to get good educations that allowed them to go on to universities, considered some of the best, and did or are doing well. Yes they had to want it and really try but sometimes that is important. Yes they had problems of race and social class, some probably considered my sons to be of a lower social class but ultimately they came out with not only a good education but good social skills and a broad cross section of friends. Keeping them home and isolating them from the world would have been a bad thing.

I personally was home-schooled and I entered college at the age of sixteen, receiving free college classes because I was an under age student. I highly recommend home-schooling, but naturally it only works out for some students. The student must be highly self-motivated and have a real love of learning.

My parents basically just gave my math books, science books, history books, whatever I needed and I read them and did the assignments. Naturally, though, that doesn't work for every student.

I feel that for some exceptional students homeschooling is the best course, for others the control of public school is needed to keep them working.