Science Forums

Stupid things you catch yourself doing, that make you go "GAH!!"

I once compiled something, then attempted to move that file to a different folder with the rm command. B) I wasnt paying attention.

lol! Moved it straight to the after life, ay? B)

Just yesterday I was trying to reinstall Arch Linux after using that partition for something else. Well, I accidentally initialized my Windows partition as a swap. No worries, after much banging and screaming, I tried the Windows CD and its good ol' "fixboot c:" and "fixmbr" and voila. Friggin' miracle that I didn't accidentally format it.

Oh lol most of the most important things i scribble on the backs of envelopes... i'm feeling you, pyro B)

South, swap is not an actual file system, its like ram, ram doesnt really run a file system, swap's just added to addressing.. meaning that if you didn't actually use swap, you wouldn't have lost any data on it, nor its formatting B)

my friend saw a boot warning to check his filesystem for /, so he goes into console and types in mk2fs /dev/hda5 3 seconds later he realized what he did, but it was already too late, you cant stop mkfs... :) took him two days to get his box back to where it was...

my friend saw a boot warning to check his filesystem for /, so he goes into console and types in mk2fs /dev/hda5 3 seconds later he realized what he did, but it was already too late, you cant stop mkfs... B) took him two days to get his box back to where it was...

Think I've done that too, at least once or twice. ;p

Not really an error, but it made me go gah: I wanted to make a symbolic link of all the files in a directory to another directory (not enough space in the latter) and tried to figure out how to do this not file-per-file with ln...about an hour later I figured out cp -s * . does it.

Emacs: just wanted to save with C-x C-s but my finger hit x and c the same time and I got C-x C-c... after I had opened all the buffers I need stored in different places, obviously...

Or, you can send a message to a fellow senior consultant and friend using NET SEND from the command line, which contains a single word, a very rude word that is not fit for these forums. And you don't think what you're doing, and you end up missing a backslash here and a computer name there, and instead of sending it to only his computer, you end up sending it to each and every computer in South Africa's biggest commercial bank's domain. All 36,000 of them.

Yep.

Been there, done that.

Luckily, my project manager at the time was a nice enough guy, and after laughing his arse off, we went rushing up to the bank's IT manager, explaining to him that we were suddenly hit by the new "c*nt" virus, but that we successfully killed it.

Guess what was my nickname in the company afterwards? :eek2:

Any morals to this story? Sure. If a friend takes you out for too many beers and you end up at work the next morning with a splitting headache and you want to let him know what you think of him by using the one single most offensive word in the english language, text him on his cellphone. Never use NET SEND when hung over. Also, that was back in the day with NT, when it was enabled by default.

But nowadays when the bank irritates me (I still bank with them, though) with either high service fees or ridiculous interest rates, I smile deep inside. Yes, I think to myself: I don't need to get angry. I have already insulted each and every one of this bank's employees, personally. Country-wide. So I guess that makes us even.

• 10 months later...