Science Forums

Guarana-related Rambling! *shifty eyes*

Ahhhh, I know relatively little about guarana, except that it was in an energy drink I picked up today for the sake of trying it. I do, however, know that it (obviously) contains guaranine, a stimulant similar to caffeine. And that's where my knowledge of it prior to researching stopped. *pauses here to hope she's not mistaken* Anything wrong yet? >_> Okay.

I tried researching some more about this and found from more than a few sources that it delays sleep, causes higher heart rate, and can possibly make you feel jittery, y'know, your standard stimulant stuff. I consumed said energy drink about thirty or so minutes ago (it did not list the amount of guarana conatined in the drink, though I would have imagined it not a significant amount. If anything, I'd guess about 30 mgs worth of caffeine or less), and up until about ten minutes ago, I was WIRED. Seriously, I've never felt so jittery in my life. My heart rate was higher than normal, and I had a slight fever- I'm guessing from the elevated heart rate, I'm not sick and have no infections. :friday:

*AHEM* Anyway, what I'm wanting to know is if some people are better at handling guaranine than others? (Or does this go for about EVERYTHING? *laughs*) I... just can't find anything more about it; webpages just want to sell it to me. Go figure.

Can anyone shed some light here, or at least point me in the right direction? Haha, this was probably a simple question; tolerate me, please, I'm learning. XD

:friday: i thought your post was witty!

i had a similar experience with guarana....only it was years ago... guarana plants are native to south america.i got it in a heath food store in Bondi, in powdered form. the wrapper suggested mixing in a drink, so i made aguarana flavoured milo and milk and whoooshka.

i think if your body reacts like that perhaps avoid it, or at leist eat something before.

is this mostly psychological?

i've drank many energy drinks and most of the time i don't feel a thing unless i start thinking i do. although once i drank about 7 of those things, mixed varieties, and i did get a pretty big rush. but maybe that was because i knew i just drank 7, and i knew i had to feel something??

But this isn't the first time I've had energy drink, either. There was about a month where I constantly drank them. They tasted good. XD But I'm not sure if the kind I had then actually contained guarana. I had thought it may have been a psychological thing too, but I wasn't really thinking that it was going to do anything. Normally caffeine and other "energy-boosters" have absolutely NO effect on me that I can discern myself, and likewise, medicines that are supposed to have a soporific quality don't cause me any drowsiness whatsoever. Therefore, I thought it rather odd that an energy drink affect me in any way. O_o

I guess I'm thinking into this too much. Thanks for the help and suggestions though! =3 I think I might actually experiment with this further and see what happens to me. It can't hurt! Hopefully *laughs*

XD VERY subconscious, TINNY. *laughs*

And one's expecting something to happen based on an action taken is highly possible (I'm sure you all know *laughs again).

A "for instance"- how people have conducted controlled experiments in which they serve "Alcohol" and cause people to believe they have become drunk- when in actuality they haven't consumed alcohol at all.

Like I said, I'll experiment further about the effects of guarana on myself- I'm sure it's just something about me or that particular day I tried it. :);

A "for instance"- how people have conducted controlled experiments in which they serve "Alcohol" and cause people to believe they have become drunk- when in actuality they haven't consumed alcohol at all.

that's exactly what i was going for, i just didn't want to offend you! :)

that's exactly what i was going for, i just didn't want to offend you! :)

Heh heh, no offense taken whatsoever! :)

At least I understood what you were trying to say. I don't even know HOW many years ago I heard about that particular example- and I'm sure it's been done more than once. I kinda wonder who designed the first trial too. XD

I also wonder if, seeing as how this has happened, someone were to give me an energy drink with "guarana" I'd start acting jittery and wired. *laughs*

• 1 month later...

Yes, Doc, you are correct. Many of the available drinks such as Red Bull have TOO much guarana and other stimulants for one person serving. I believe the drink "Lizzard" makes several flavors that are in lower amounts that I will drink and I find helpful in the pm when I can get tired. But I am finding "Green Tea" capsules (500mg) to work the best. One to two capsules with a lunch meal keep me going (6'2" 200#) well ito the evening. A bottle of 100 costs about $10.

Ah, as I had thought. I don't know how much guarana was thrown into one serving, but I had figured it might have been too much for one person in one sitting. I bought the same drink not too long ago and pretty much split it in half with a friend. It hardly had any effect on us AT ALL.

And the Lizzard drinks are nice- I've had them on more than one ocassion. I hadn't even heard of green tea capsules, but I actually drink green tea more than pretty much anything else. ^^

Thanks for the help!