Science Forums

Wastless consumption?

Theory5

Has medical science figured out all the nutrients and vitamins we need daily? If So, what are they and are they all available in supplements?

One day I got to thinking just how wasteful our current food source is, and how we could consume all our nutrients without the huge waste.

Can our bodies handle taking pills instead of eating? Or are we too used to eating and would one still be hungry even if they took all those pills?

Something to think about. :)

I have thought about this a lot.. I dont think medical science is at the point of been able to replace a natural food source with supplements. The main important vitamins are well known but at the moment that cant replace the food source that we have evolved to eat for the last ~100k years. A balanced diet of our natural food (not macdonalds or KFC) provides us with alI that our bodies need in the right proportions; this along with a multitude of trace elements that we would probably never bother taking a pill to supplement. These small trace elements may play a bigger role in our body than expected. So until all of that is work out I think we are best to eat what our bodies were designed to eat!

Also you would still get hungry unless you include pills of fat, protein and carbohydrates to give you energy. Though it does bring up an interesting question of if you would still crave the taste of food? I would speculate that if you were getting what you needed all the time then cravings would probably go away once you body has reached equilibrium with its supply.

Finally who would want to replace all the enjoyment we get from eating our food with having to swallow down pills and supplements 3 times a day?