Science Forums

I need help with contact form

iorgobas

How can I change my email address from text into an image? Someone told me that this way it won't be picked up by spam bots and it will reduce spam. ;)

It depends on what you mean.

If you want an image that says something like "Email me" where someone can click on the picture and be taken to their email program, then that will make no difference to any spambot worth its weight in electrons.

On the other hand, an image without an embedded link would fly by the radar, but it would require the legitimate person to type out your email themselves. It's an inconvenience for the legitimate person, but if you're getting enough spam to justify it then it might be wise.

Am I on the right track here?

Bots won't see that as anything else than a simple sentence construct, but any human would realize your intent.

Don't underestimate the spam bots. They can look for the phrase "dot com" and just pull the preceding words to form an address. It's certainly better than an outright link, but it's not foolproof.

Don't underestimate the spam bots. They can look for the phrase "dot com" and just pull the preceding words to form an address. It's certainly better than an outright link, but it's not foolproof.

Oh well.:shrug:

At least you were kind enough to leave me eleven minutes of fame before destroying all illusions I had of being the most superest cleverest dude in the entire universe.;)

Bloody smartass.:evil:

Oh well.:shrug:

At least you were kind enough to leave me eleven minutes of fame before destroying all illusions I had of being the most superest cleverest dude in the entire universe.;)

Bloody smartass.:evil:

Or piet aapstert isp kolletjie com No way the bots can figure that out, but will only work with Afrikaans people as the rest does not know what an aapstert is. :D

Or piet aapstert isp kolletjie com No way the bots can figure that out, but will only work with Afrikaans people as the rest does not know what an aapstert is. :shrug:

... or you could do that.

And you will bypass and confuse all the bots on the planet, together with 99.99254% of the population!

Foolproof for bots, though! ;)