Science Forums

Want to Build Model Turbofan...Where to Start???

jeeves

Welcome to hypography, jeves :hihi: and sorry for the late answer to this post. :boy_hug:

Can you give more information about the model turbofan you’re thinking of building? Some sort of high-bypass turbofan jet engine, yes? Do you want it to be a small working engine, a realistic miniature, or a easy-to-understand teaching model? Do you want to scratchbuild it, or would you consider building or bashing a kit?

• 6 months later...

Welcome to hypography, trying_2_build!

I’ve the same questions for you I had last year for jeves:

Can you give more information about the model turbofan you’re thinking of building? Some sort of high-bypass turbofan jet engine, yes? Do you want it to be a small working engine, a realistic miniature, or a easy-to-understand teaching model? Do you want to scratchbuild it, or would you consider building or bashing a kit?

Assuming you’re interested in building a small, working jet engine, my first thought it to look at existing commercially available small jet engines, which are sold primarily to radio controlled flying model hobbyists. I know of two main manufacturers of these: AMT Netherlands and JetCat USA. JetCat makes the smallest one, the 1.87 pound, 3.25 inch diameter, 13 pound thrust P60-SE.

As best I can tell, the makers of these engines don’t encourage or support people disassembling or making jet engines themselves, or sell major parts dissasembled – in the case of serious trouble, the engine must be shipped to the maker for service or replacement. They’re expensive, around US$3000.

I believe professional engineers have made smaller engines, typically working for research agencies like DARPA.

There are quite a few armature jet engine builders, though none, as best I can tell, none of them as small as the commercial RC model engines. Most of the builders seem to know each other, and link to one another’s websites. Here’s one: Larrys homemade Gas Turbine Jet Engine

Scratchbuilding a small jet engine, I think, would require you to design and build your own major parts, pretty demanding technical work that requires a lot of pretty expensive tools and equipment, and an impressive, and possible first-of-its kind achievement. Good luck! :phones:

The thing is im intersted to build turbofan engine which no RC manufacturers do, pluse i dont want to spend 4 or 5k on ready made engine.

i did my reserch on the engine parts, some of them i can order some other can be made, i need to design but im not an engineer or even a mechanic but im really intersted to build one as a hobby.

• 1 year later...

Heyy.. I'm an Aeronautical Engineering student into my final year of study. As part of my project in my University, I am trying to build a Turbofan engine. I don't think I will be building it from scratch. Looking to kit bash. For instance, if I had the KJ-66 and wanted to build a turbofan out of that gas turbine engine, how do I go about it? Please guide.

Thanks

Welcome to hypography, aashik! :)

For instance, if I had the KJ-66 and wanted to build a turbofan out of that gas turbine engine, how do I go about it? Please guide.

Maybe shorten the KJ66’s inlet a little. Design and build (assuming you can’t or don’t want to find and buy) a fan and outer cowling (nacelle) that fits the KJ66. Machine a longer shaft to replace the one that comes with the KJ66. Attach the fan to the end of the new shaft, and the cowling to the KJ66’s case.

I expect this fan-added-to-the-front-of-a-turbojet wouldn’t be near as good as an engine designed from scratch to be a turbofan, but would run, and move more air while spinning at a lower speed than the original.

Good luck, and post pictures :thumbs_up