Science Forums

What is necessary for technology to occur?

Doctordick

Evolution begins with two basic principles. Some random change will create disorder, with respect to the existing system, i.e., not yet part of the cell's integration. Next, life lowers the entropy of this change as it assimilates its. Genetic changes have potential, but not actuality, until it is integrated.

Random changes do not "create disorder" and neither does "life lower entropy." You may be able to point to a few correlations, but there are many counterexamples and nothing that I'm aware of that posits actual causation.

This appears to be a radical new theory of yours. You'll need to open a thread to discuss it before you can justify any of these statements begin givens to support the rest of your discussion. Otherwise, this post is completely off-topic.

Communications without intelligence is noise; Intelligence without communications is irrelevant, :hihi:

Buffy

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the description in 2001: A Space Odyssey. It takes a bit of ability (to grab a tool), a bit of intellgence (a-ha moment), and a bit of necessity (some motivation) to figure out you can use tools, a big bone, to beat up a stronger opponent.

Now, spiders have a nice little web technology going. Birds build nests which is a sort of technology. Bees build crates.

In water, the environment is denser, and subject to stronger force of currents. It's really hard to come up with something to use under water that will give you advantage over opponent's natural speed of movement. It's also hard to build a net, from natural sources, for example, due to strong currents and lack of anchors. In water, you only have stability at the sea floor, and even there the ground moves due to dense fluid and currents. There must be some little critter on the ocean's floor that builds something, I woud presume that much.

I wasn't responding to the title, but I was responding to the question posed in the OP. (with everything else in my post except for that question in the end)

[snip]

Anyway, about the thumbs, certainly there are many other ways to manipulate your environment than with opposable thumbs. Octopuses don't have opposable thumbs. And even if some sea organism has got opposable thumbs (or any other good method of manipulating its environment), again, there's still no specific evolutionary pressure for it to adopt the survival method of "advanced technology".

Hi AnssiH

Having re-read the OP I agree that it is not solely about technology, so your comments are apposite. I also agree that there's no specific evolutionary pressure for it to adopt the survival method of "advanced technology", except perhaps the wanton over-exploitation of the environment achieved with our technology. That is putting the survival of whole species at risk. So, perhaps that creates an evolutionary pressure for other species to develop technologies, to enable them to fight back? :hihi:

We used to think that man was the only tool using animal. Now they are all at it. As I've said, I don't regard the tool usage achieved by animals to represent technology, yet, but is non-human technology on the rise?