Science Forums

Better GUI than Gnome!

lol well every release is not different in terms of gui, because gui has nothing to do with ubuntu, rather they do change themes, but gnome gets periodic updates from the gnome people, and Ubuntu is just a linux distro...

You can't always roll it back, personal experience says otherwise, but with some work you can roll it back, usually...

lol well every release is not different in terms of gui, because gui has nothing to do with ubuntu, rather they do change themes, but gnome gets periodic updates from the gnome people, and Ubuntu is just a linux distro...

lol right.

You can't always roll it back, personal experience says otherwise, but with some work you can roll it back, usually...

Of course, the best solution is to have everything backed up beforehand. And then it is pretty easy to roll things back, given the right tools. I'm sure you'd agree.

My problems vanished (for the most part) with the latest upgrade of Ubu. It's worth a shot, you can always roll it back. :)

The login interface is snazzed up, but not much else different in terms of GUI, afaict.

I will try the next release for sure, but the 9.04 cd would not even boot, and I tried it several times, the 64-bit version anyway, from a usb stick.

I will try the next release for sure, but the 9.04 cd would not even boot, and I tried it several times, the 64-bit version anyway, from a usb stick.

I haven't tried 64 bits yet, but the 32 bit version upgraded flawlessly.

My wireless adaptor, Realtek 8187B, finally works in Ubuntu without tweaking. :)

:)

I had that problem with my USB stick. Get a USB stick, use Unetbootin to put 9.04 on the USB stick, then the moment the Ubuntu logo and the loading bar starts pull out the USB and put it back in as quick as you can. I had that same problem with the 64-bit version as well. Apperently there is a file that screws with Ubuntu and pulling out the USB stick and putting it back it in skips that file.

I had that problem with my USB stick. Get a USB stick, use Unetbootin to put 9.04 on the USB stick, then the moment the Ubuntu logo and the loading bar starts pull out the USB and put it back in as quick as you can. I had that same problem with the 64-bit version as well. Apperently there is a file that screws with Ubuntu and pulling out the USB stick and putting it back it in skips that file.

That has a bad solution to a simple problem written all over it... what "file" is it, and why can't you just give it a boot option to skip loading it?

That has a bad solution to a simple problem written all over it... what "file" is it, and why can't you just give it a boot option to skip loading it?

No clue. But the people on ubuntuforums.org figured out the problem and propsed that unoffical solution.

[ubuntu] problem installing ubuntu 9.04 (busybox) - Ubuntu Forums

The 'solution' is post #6

phenom x4, 4gb ram, dual 320GB hard drives, nvidia 8800gts, and core 2 duo, 6gb ram, 750gb drive, running vmware server, both are SATA.

Hmm. I was trying to install it on a HP Tx2-1270us and it gave me a heap of trouble. And everytime I boot up I still get

ata1: softreset failed (device not ready)

ata2: softreset failed (device not ready)

it still boots up though.

from what i can tell, you have to turn off ahci in the bios, then use the alternate ubuntu cd to boot and install. If you want to fix the issue, there is a kernel patch here: ahci: Workaround HW bug for SB600/700 SATA controller PMP support | KernelTrap

but as you most likely dont know how to apply it, you will have to wait till the devs fix it and release a new kernel update...

from what i can tell, you have to turn off ahci in the bios, then use the alternate ubuntu cd to boot and install. If you want to fix the issue, there is a kernel patch here: ahci: Workaround HW bug for SB600/700 SATA controller PMP support | KernelTrap

but as you most likely dont know how to apply it, you will have to wait till the devs fix it and release a new kernel update...

Yea i dont know much about linux. But Im learning. Anyways It hasnt kept me from booting or accessing drives or any other operation as far as I can tell, so Im fine for now. I thought that the alternate boot CD was just if your computer had graphical problems with the installer and livecd.