Science Forums

Better GUI than Gnome!

Hey, I recently got a laptop for college and I duel booted Ubuntu alongside my vista (and vista could actually do something worthwile for once, its shrink partition feature worked! Amazing huh?:cup: ) anyways I like Ubuntu but even when I fooled around with the Gnome fonts and stuff it just didnt do it for me. Windows might not be good for anything but gaming, yet I do like the smaller and more professional look to XP and vista. I do like the bar at the top and the bottom in Gnome. Do you guys use anything different?

xfce is my favorite (which is the default of xubuntu), but I do not know if you would like it. Xfce is the smallest one you can get, but it has a lot of cool options gnome does not have (like scrolling anywhere on the desktop makes you switch desktop, dragging windows to the border and insisting a bit (you decide how many seconds) puts them on the next desktop (ok, with gnome youu have shortcuts for that, which is cooler than using the mouse), no menu at all but appearing with right click (or whatever you set it to) on the desktop (not the usual windows right-click menu, but the full one:applications, places, etc... which obviously is reduced only to minimum necessary))...

I used to know better why xfce was my favorite, but now in my office I get only gnome (or kde) since it is centralized by the IT at my uni I can't install my own...

Tormod GTFO! lol just kidding, you (filthy) mac user. :cup:

Sanctus, xfce looks okay but seems a little sparce, and its not exactly what I am looking for. Im looking for something with a futuristicish design, kinda hard to explain. My laptop is a tablet so I was wondering if you guys knew of anything that has a design built around flexibility for tablet PC's?

Either one would be great, If I knew how to make my own custom skins and stuff I would, but I dont unfortunatly.

Thanks,

Theory

Edit: ooo Lookit This!

Sorry, I didnt mean I wanted another GUI, I want a different theme, a different look, not feel. Sorry for the misleading thing. I am looking at creating my own theme for Gnome.

E17 is Enlightenment 17 ;) its their latest and still in development, its a neat interface if you have the resources for it :)

E17 supports things like moving backgrounds, it has a neat clock, and its great in ways it manages windows, so i mean give it a go, if you want more shabing, try to configure it with compiz, though remember e17 is still beta (for years now) and some things may get some work to coolify, if you choose to ofcourse... though honestly i think beryl is great on a desktop, but as far as tablets or laptops go, it's mostly not needed...

actually check this distribution out: Where Debian meets Enlightenment

something you might want to think about using instead of ubu for sheer impressing factor ;)

E17 is Enlightenment 17 ;) its their latest and still in development, its a neat interface if you have the resources for it :)

E17 supports things like moving backgrounds, it has a neat clock, and its great in ways it manages windows, so i mean give it a go, if you want more shabing, try to configure it with compiz, though remember e17 is still beta (for years now) and some things may get some work to coolify, if you choose to ofcourse... though honestly i think beryl is great on a desktop, but as far as tablets or laptops go, it's mostly not needed...

something you might want to think about using instead of ubu for sheer impressing factor ;)

I dont really like how it sounds. It seems to me like they focused more on the eyecandy than anything else. I dont really want to switch. I had enough trouble setting Ubuntu up in the first place lol. My computer really did not want to have ubuntu on it.

Remember the moto:

Linux, it just takes a little bit of work...

Yes, I am thinking that once I get Ubuntu fully functional on my laptop (some of the touchscreen functions dont work yet, there is a tutorial that I need to follow to enable them) I might just get rid of Vista all together, or I would, but then the few games I am bringing to college with me (I doubt I will spend much time on the computer :) ) wouldnt work.

I might try it. Arch has been giving me trouble, as in something always breaks everytime I update. I just got finished replacing it with Ubu 8.04.

I might try it. Arch has been giving me trouble, as in something always breaks everytime I update. I just got finished replacing it with Ubu 8.04.

My problems vanished (for the most part) with the latest upgrade of Ubu. It's worth a shot, you can always roll it back. :lol:

The login interface is snazzed up, but not much else different in terms of GUI, afaict.