Science Forums

Writing Warm-Up

freeztar

I had an excellent English Literature teacher that would start every class with a silent 10 minute purge from every student. It sounds like a nightmare, but it worked! It was not only a literary tool, it taught us all to quiet down and appreciate the lesson.

So...as an extension of this here, I ask everyone to purge their minds during a 10 minute session of write as fast as you can and keep going. If you don't know what to write, then keep repeating "I don't know what to write" until you do. Honesty is key here.

Here's my terrible ten minutes for everyone to see. (no edits at all...it is what it is)

Ok…..this is what I’m thinking right now….what is the time oh it is 11:33….that means I must tell you the story of Goliath and the bear…did I say bear? I meant lioness….wwweellll actually it was not even a lioness that took air from the bloggers that preached and prayed to the virgin mary whilst sitting on a toadstool in a faraway land that some call gnome but that others tend to refer to as trollville and vaudeville rolled up in one great cacauphony of sounds that abounds and arounds because they are lame rhymes does not mean I’m not going to extort their greatness in the Face of whatever demon shall humble to call bounty against every living sin that glorifies its presence and then the little wing went singing to the tree about the plans of the demons and the trees protested in jestin nothing but good ole co2 in one triumphant gulp to celebrate the rebirth of the tree reason which states that any tree can kill any fansical charaicture as long as they can justify thery e premise with a bit a nonsensical demure which doesn’t even make sense but hey if you ARE FOLLOWING along so far then you must know that none of this makes sense and that a glance at the clock reads 1138 oh dear that means I have five more minutes of this so I will start a new tale and this one will be better because it starts with a brave knight on the ex-planet Pluto through which the knight meets a fair maden and they both equqlly joust on the moon Titan amongst an audience of anfios[perms that gather in their presence because of course they have no choice…then the rain begins and it s kinda bad becaude the ship they hoped to escape in had been eaten by the angiosperms and let through the end of a vacuum tube on mars…begin afain….it was a fair day on Pluto and icarus was feeling great so great indeed that he didn’t feel the need for speed so instead he opted to rearrange his neural connections in favor of a new experiment which was called the Mass Graviton Spectrometry of the out side regions of Kuiper according to Icarus but he laid in bed instead and ended up sleeping for something like 18 billio years or maybe it was less but he fell into the sun through Plutos descension and that’s the truth and don’t let those Greeks tell you any differently because they only know one thing and that is to tell a lie that is still so cool that you want to believe it but of course that’s not set 6to them alone but it s not really pertinent anyway because I hae to move on with other thing s by now hopefully as I sneak a glance and see 1144…whew

That wasn't so bad. :)

Note: you can use a sounding stopwatch if you prefer. I recommend it actually as looking at the time while typing is a bit distracting. (only looked at the clock personally at the times noted...I went a bit over :) )

Anyone game?

8:22 and i have to first point out that you used 11 minutes there. 11:44- 11:33 = 11. so it's math then i have to right about for 10 minutes!? when that circus jockey turned to pick up my missed nickels that skittered off those damned plates balanced on those damn pop bottles, i took the prize off the shelf that he wasn't going to let me win (a plush spongebob half a meter tall and holding squidward's clarinet) and handed it to some pimply faced kid walking by and as then just as the barker turned back to me i pointed at the hapless youth & hollered "thief!" the barker then hollered "stop thief" and i repeated it, hollering "stop that thief", as i lifted the sideshows hinged counter to allow a speedy exit of the now highly agitated doof. as he ran past, i stuck my foot out and hooked his ankle causing him to pitch forward, but not fall, and as he caught his lurch & began to stand i let go the hinged counter which struck him square on the head. he fell, biting the dust.