Science Forums

Future Weather: Arctic Climate Links

Essay

For those who do "believe" in climate change, I'd like to talk about the weather.

This is a perfect topic for the Watercooler, but....

"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody ever does anything about it." -Twain

"It is your human environment that makes climate."

- Following the Equator, Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar

--I have no idea where that comes from, but it sounds good--thanks google.

===

For over a year now, I've been saying that--with the large increase in annual Arctic ice (relative to perennial ice)--that we'd have cooler wetter Springs, along with warmer dryer Autumns.

[Large annual melt in Spring/Summer = large heat sink.

Large freeze in Fall/Winter = large heat release.]

Along with that, was an idea about more north/south orientation or variation of the weather--as opposed to the usual east/west flow and alternating patterns in weather--down at our latitudes.

Another particular effect might be on the Jet Stream--responding to this stronger north/south forcing, but I don't know enough to predict any of that behaviour--if it'd even be affected. I would guess the Jet would move farther north in Spring and farther south in Fall, but it could just as easily be the opposite--but still with more north/south flow (or possibly less ...but not the same). :turtle: :shrug:

Heck, I don't even know how it normally responds in Spring/Fall.

Any info. or suggestions??

===

ANYway....

I sometimes wonder what the future climate might hold in store for us.

Might we return to a more stagnant climate pattern (i.e. 500 Mya)?

Are there other alien climates in Earth's past, I wonder?

Might the globe be permanently (i.e. years/decades/centuries) shrouded in reflective clouds--appearing as a snowball from space?

Might a stable hurricane develop over the Gulf--the "great blue spot" on the snowball?

Hopefully that's far in the future (or impossible), but more immediately....

What about El Nino?

I heard today that it is supposed to become active again late in Summer '09 and fully active by Fall (maybe).

As that happens, what are the normal predictions for El Nino weather?

So I'm predicting, if we would get El Nino weather, it might be farther south than normal.

I'd also think it might be less violent than normal--since there would be less contrast with the (by my idea) already warmer/dryer Fall, that the El Nino weather will pass by/through (on average, of course).

Wow! Thinking now about Spring 2010--if El Nino is strong then and moves northward, that would be warm/wet air colliding with cool/wet air--leading to very violent weather--wouldn't it?

Any weather experts out there???

That's based on the idea that El Nino creates warm/wet air that (among other things) makes it up to our latitudes. Is that right?

===

So, what do you think about the weather? ;)