Science Forums

Culture Shock

What are some surprising things you've noticed when visiting another country (the people, or the country itself)?

For instance, in many places in Europe, I'm shocked by the smallness of the roads and cars compared to America.

An interesting article on tourists that I read today: BBC NEWS | Europe | 'Rude' French are worst tourists

So what's something shocking about another country you've noticed on your travels?

...something shocking about another country...

Those bloody Australians.

They eat beetroot on everything. And I mean everything.

When I was there, I was shocked and appalled at having an "Aussie burger" at the local KFC, which is a normal, regular chicken burger, with beetroot.

Awww maaaaan...

Culture Shock is being thrown into a car by 5 strangers in Tijuana, Mexico. You drive to an ATM and hand over everything, but still the death threats roll. And when you're back on the street, you are overwhelmed by the smell of menudo and desperate hookers. Meanwhile, which way to the bull running?

Yeah, culture shock...

For someone who has not lived in the commonwealth or U.S., but has lived elsewhere for a long time--and vice versa, visual adjustment must take some time. I think the reason is the british vs. metric scale. In commonwealth or U.S., everything is built in inches. This makes a big difference in visual scale of things.