Science Forums

Gay Marriage

dannieyankee

FACT: It is true that a purely homosexual or mostly homosexual society will strongly decline in population.

FACT: Legalising gay marriage WILL NOT increase the number of homosexuals (i.e. 5%).

FACT: That means that society will continue to go on as usual. Nothing will happen out of the ordinary. The same 5% of people will continue to be gay. The only difference is that they get rights they didn't have before. It's only 5% of people. Right now they cannot have children. After marriage they will continue to not have children. Therefore there will be NO difference in the amount of children born.

FACT: There is a ridiculous amount of evidence that two people of the same sex raising a child WILL NOT HARM the child; even though it is not naturally occurring does not mean it is damaging, therefore there is STILL NO ARGUMENT in saying it is not natural.

FACT: This society is different from what society was ages ago. We are currently overpopulated. There is no real need to increase the population or even keep it level at the moment. Less births would probably be a good thing.

• 1 month later...

This is about Bigotry from the Psychology thread, since it was closed.

Bigotry is prejudice; not intolerance. One can be bigoted but extremely tolerant.

Bigotry is prejudgment of others based on natural ethnic traits. Now scholars and others have tried to expand the core definition in political discourse beyond ethnic traits to broader "hate," such as towards women, or gays, or mentally ill, or children, but it does not work all the time. This expands the object of prejudgment--to gays, women, etc., but decreases the subject of prejudgment only to those prejudgmental subjects who hate. I like the the original test: prejudgment of others based on natural ethnic traits.

Bigotry is not too hard to define. Here is the New American Oxford Dictionary’s defnition of the word:

bigotry |ˈbigətrē|

noun

bigoted attitudes; intolerance toward those who hold different opinions from oneself

Here’s an excellent test for bigotry, as it pertains to “gay marriage,” which is this thread’s topic. Firstly, this question: Is “gay marriage” a right or a privilege guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution? Some hold an affirmative opinion on the matter; some do not. However, the only opinion that ultimately matters on this issue is that of the SCOTUS. Now, if an individual opposes “gay marriage” on constitutional grounds, and if the SCOTUS decides that it is indeed constitutional, then that individual is a bigot if he/she continues to oppose “gay marriage” on constitutional grounds. Conversely, if an individual claims that “gay marriage” should be legalized on constitutional grounds, and if the SCOTUS decides that “gay marriage” is not constitutional, then that individual is a bigot if he or she continues on with his or her bogus claim.

So, for the likes of InfiniteNow, what will be your opinion on this matter when the SCOTUS decides that “gay marriage” is not supported by the Constitution? You will be a bigot if you continue on with your bogus claim. However, if the SCOTUS actually does decide that “gay marriage” is constitutional then I, for one, will abide with that decision. That’s because I am not a bigot.

What will you do, InfiniteNow, if the SCOTUS rules against your opinion? Be careful, because your attitude is perilously close to Oxford’s definition of bigotry: intolerance toward those who hold different opinions from oneself.

Here's the Oxford English Dictionary entry for "bigotry" from OED Online:

1. The quality or condition of a bigot; obstinate or unreasonable attachment to a belief, practice, faction, etc.; intolerance, prejudice.

?1651 C. LOVE Strange & Wonderful Predict. 68 Bigotry, the natural produce of ignorance. a1688 R. CUDWORTH Treat. Freewill (1961) 41 No manner of doubt may be raised in their minds against them, either by sophistical arguments or bigotry in religion. 1695 R. FERGUSON Brief Acct. Incroachments & Depredations of Dutch upon Eng. sig. B, If we had not been Infatuated by Bigotry, and made Insolently Wanton by too much Prosperity. 1704 Clarendon's Hist. Rebellion III. XIV. 423 The present Duke was with more than ordinary Bigottry zealous in the Roman Religion. 1725 I. WATTS Logick II. iii. 323 Bigotry to our own Tenets. 1786 W. COWPER Let. 4-5 June (1981) II. 561, I could have hugged him for his liberality, and freedom from bigotry. 1800 T. JEFFERSON Writings (1859) IV. 319 We see the bigotry of an Italian to the ancient splendor of his country. 1876 J. R. GREEN Short Hist. Eng. People (1882) vii. §6. 406 The bigotry of Philip was met by a bigotry as merciless as his own. 1925 Amer. Mercury Oct. 236/1 It is these who let out the lodest yawps on the narrowness and bigotry of the country. 1995 Guardian 18 Aug. 14/5 The rabid bigotry of Hitler's soundbites.

2. As a count noun: an act, example, or kind of bigotry.

1680 A. LITTLETON Serm. at Meeting Natives of Worcester sig. D1v, I know the like Bigotries and Outrages are charged upon our Sectaries even at this time, and that with great vehemence. 1715 R. BENTLEY Serm. Popery 13 These Bigotries..were yet without any mixture of Craft and Knavery. 1747 J. BYROM Epist. to Friend 26 Not first the Saviour's Life and Words relate, And then go preach the Bigotries of State. 1796 C. DICKINSON Trav. Cyllenius II. xviii. 13 The Inquisition waves her fiery brand; Outrageous bigotries all sense disgrace And lawless Viceroys thin the human race. 1859 H. A. MILES Thoughts from Writings Rev. W. E. Channing II. 195 There is also a ‘Nothingarian’ bigotry. 1939 A. H. DAKIN Man Meas. iii. 96 Political fanatics whose conceits continually menace the world, suffer from a bigotry akin to that of the Inquisitors'. 2007 Daily Telegraph (Nexis) 20 Oct. 25 Why does the Left only believe in academic freedom when it suits their own bigotries?

I can't find the word "opinion" in there, so I guess we've got competing OED's.

I keep thinking Jeff Foxworthy has probably done something on "You might be a bigot if . . . ." At least he should have.

--lemit