Science Forums

[Q] Edible mushroom?

lemit

Well, I was sure. I asked my wife her opinion and she says its grey. To me I'm seeing some green in it. I looked at the pictures on mushroomexpert.com and it sounds like the chlorophyllum molybdites mushroom since its gills definately get darker (green in my opinion) as it ages. When they're fresh they're more white. One thing that is throwing me off though is that the scales on top of the mushroom in the pictures online are much more pronounced. If you take a look at my mushrooms: you'll see there are only a few spots on them. In any case, if it is the chlorophyllum molybdites mushroom, is it edible and worth eating?

Well, I was sure. I asked my wife her opinion and she says its grey. To me I'm seeing some green in it. I looked at the pictures on mushroomexpert.com and it sounds like the chlorophyllum molybdites mushroom since its gills definately get darker (green in my opinion) as it ages. When they're fresh they're more white. One thing that is throwing me off though is that the scales on top of the mushroom in the pictures online are much more pronounced. If you take a look at my mushrooms: you'll see there are only a few spots on them.

Well, the color is important. To me, from the picture, your print looks black, though cameras can play dirty tricks with color.

Here's a picture of someone else's spore print:

Would you say it looks similar to yours?

The spots can vary quite a bit depending on different factors. Some mushrooms are more varied than others. If you do a search for chlorophyllum molybdites at google images, you can see the variations of this one species.

chlorophyllum molybdites - Google Images

In any case, if it is the chlorophyllum molybdites mushroom, is it edible and worth eating?

Nope. It is poisonous and certainly not worth the sickness.

Wow, yep I do see my mushrooms and the spore print (although mine is much darker) in those pictures. You've probably saved me alot of misery! When I first started searching I was told it was probably chlorophyllum rhacodes, but in looking at the site you referenced it doesn't have all those characteristics (doesn't cut pink orange and the spore print is definately not whtie). I'll take another spore print when they come up again since the ones that are left now are rotting out (they don't last really long, maybe a week or so). Thanks again for all your patience and help!

You're welcome. :)

It just goes to show the subtle differences that could either mean a tasty treat or sickness/death. In this case, without a spore print one might assume that they had an edible parasol. In fact, it's mentioned that the molybdites sometimes have white gills even into maturity. Without a spore print, it could be nearly impossible to distinguish them.

I look forward to another spore print so we can be fully confident in the ID. :)

• 7 years later...

I was reading some articles about this magic truffles and shrooms before engaging my self for the first time. Like this one from {spam link removed}. They say that it has a very potent effect on the brain and hallucination. Unlike marijuana does it have any medical use? In one article that I've read magic truffles or shrooms are use on reducing the symtoms of obsessive-conpulsive disorder and anxiety. It can also help people to quit smoking and alcohol addiction. Some studies also suggest the property of magic shrooms/truffles can be useful for cancer patients. I would really want to hear other insights regarding this new possible alternative meds. Thanks

• 8 months later...
Infusing your dish with magic truffles/mushroom will certainly give you a different kind of satisfaction. But not everyone can be that adventurous and has guts to experiment specially when it comes on something they eat. I came across this article about a very common dish infuse with mushroom https://www.trufflemagic.com/blog/spaghetti-with-magic-mushrooms/

• 3 weeks later...

There are a lot of opinions that i heard about the truffle shroom and it took me awhile if i will believe it then i read this article http://www.trufflemagic.com/blog/common-misconceptions-and-myths/ that magic shrooms induce hallucinations by making your brain bleed and it makes me think that this shroom can help us even in our health problem as well. It can help us also in anxiety and depression as well. Some of you guys tried to use this as a medicine?

• 2 months later...