Science Forums

PBS| NOVA - Musical Minds

Galapagos

Inspired by the work of famous neuroscientist Oliver Sacks(of "The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat" and "Awakenings" fame), PBS NOVA is having a special on music and the brain tonight on June 30th 2009, at 8pm eastern time.

NOVA | Musical Minds | TV Program Description | PBS

Can the power of music make the brain come alive? Throughout his career Dr. Oliver Sacks, neurologist and acclaimed author, whose book Awakenings was made into a Oscar-nominated feature film starring Robin Williams and Robert De Niro, has encountered myriad patients who are struggling to cope with debilitating medical conditions. While their ailments vary, many have one thing in common: an appreciation for the therapeutic effects of music. NOVA follows four individuals—two of whom are Sacks's case studies—and even peers into Sacks's own brain, to investigate music's strange, surprising, and still unexplained power over the human mind.

YouTube - NOVA | MUSICAL MINDS | PBS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q49Bs0Gp7OU

The show should be available for free viewing as a stream on the PBS website tomorrow.

I have musician friends who ask me about the brain and musical creativity(as I study biology and have studied music), and Dr. Sacks' popular works on the topic have been on my reading list for a while. Now hopefully I can get some of my friends who are more avid musicians than they are readers to learn about some brain science! Just thought I would share!

---------

To anyone else interested, I found out of this while watching Dr. Sacks being interviewed on The Daily Show, and that interview should be posted as a streaming video on TDS website later this evening..