Science Forums

Astrophotography anyone?

Zythryn

Turtle, I do not want to advertise my ignorance on the subject, but do you measure to know it's a 22deg halo or are the some underlying physics I missed? If measured please provied method. Thanks.

my bad. :doh: it is a physical effect, yes. i didn't measure it because it's always the same size. here's some info on halos. :hyper:

22 Degree Halo: a ring of light 22 degrees from the sun or moon

...Halos form when light from the sun or moon is refracted by ice crystals associated with thin, high-level clouds (like cirrostratus clouds). A 22 degree halo is a ring of light 22 degrees from the sun (or moon) and is the most common type of halo observed and is formed by hexagonal ice crystals with diameters less than 20.5 micrometers....

so too is the 46 degreee halo a physical phenomena. :clue:

46° halo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

JayQ, that third pic is very significant to me. I remember seeing it from an awesome 8" and then moving to the 24". Jupiter is real! The books I read about it as a kid were real. There was the "big red storm" the books talked about. Everytime I see a detailed shot of Jupiter, I think about that. The whole reason I'm even looking...:)

Of course, the only reason I was able to see it was due to advanced optics and an understanding of the different lenses' focal points, combined with a good directional sense (using astronomical coordinates...or sometimes saying something like "aim for the right side of orion's belt". :read:

Umm...I think it's about time to sit on the porch and watch Perseid. I had plans with a good friend to go and watch the peak of the shower tomorrow morning, but it looks like rain. So, I go to look, and hopefully snag one in the lens. :magic:

i found this java script utility for the Jovian moons and i think i caught Ganymede & Europa. :clue:

SkyandTelescope.com - Planets - Jupiter's Moons Javascript Utility

here's the raw video. manual focus to infinity, standard mode, auto exposure. ;)

>> YouTube - 20090624043214

Awesome Turtle, thanks for sharing:)

I am still working on getting some shots of the sun.

I can't use a t-ring setup as the star diagonal is required with my setup to safely view the sun.

I am trying to work with one of these:

NexImage (item #93712) / Celestron.com - Telescope | Computerized Telescopes | Microscopes | Binoculars | SkyScout

Really slick idea, as it simply replaces the eyepiece in the telescope. However, I think I need a shorter focal length telescope as the imager gives an equivalent image size as a 5mm eyepiece.

Aha! Well, sort of:)

I got the system working with the imager. I need a bit more work on the focusing.

My understanding is that B&W images give better contrast, however I want to see how images in color turn out, and improve my focusing.

where's a good sunspot when ya need one!!?? :( that's not too bad a first shot der. :) i can make out the granulation. :clue:

i recorded 1 meteor 2 nights ago but i couldn't get it to show on the computer. :shrug: i'm a guest on the machine & the owner thinks the monitor is going bad. ;) ?? all's i know is i'm loosing major quality from camera to computer with the SuperNightShot mode. :rant: i recorded all night last night anyway :D but not even a dim meteor to be found on review this morn. we have the first rain in a month moving in now so i may not have any more chances at the perseids. rats! ;)

that is all. :( :)

Zythryn, I simply point my camera phone or digi camera into my eyepiece and shoot - it takes some careful aligning but you get the hang of it. The jupiter shot is actually a stack of images recorded in avi format (stacked with the program registax, its an excellent program and free too).

What sort of filter are you using to view the sun?

• 1 month later...

Jay, sorry I missed your post!

I am using a Lunt solar scope. It uses a hydrogen-alpha filter system.

I need to get better with the imaging software. I have Registax, but for whatever reason, seem to be having a tough time getting it to 'stack' the images correctly:(

Amazing how few truly good viewing days we have had lately, and how few sunspots we have had.

COME ON SUNSPOTS!! You can do it, we know you can!! :phones:

I find it hard to stack unless the object is large and has some very distinct and consistent detail. Otherwise you have to do it by hand, which is ok if you have just taken a few shots, but if you have 10sec of avi at 30fps its :phones:

I got a tring and adapter and had a go shooting jupiter prime focus - man its tough! Since I have no tracking capability I need very fast exposures so it looks rather dim. This would be ok for stacking but my DSLR does not take video :hyper: Add to that the difficulty of focusing.. do you have any tips for this shooting method? what camera do you use?

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

caught a couple of early Perseids last night before things clouded over around 2 am. looking SSE across the columbia river at portland or. :photos: they always have such hopeful projections. >> Planets Align for the Perseid Meteor Shower - NASA Science :hihi: :tearhair: :hyper: oh well... who we gonna call? :phone:

YouTube - ‪Perseid Meteor‬‎ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfsMhvHwPnU

YouTube - ‪Perseid Meteor 2‬‎ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_3Ax8-3TU4

• 1 year later...

i accidentaly caught the lunar eclipse a couple days ago, not that i didn't know it was happening but only that i had decided it was too early & cold to get up for. ahh but then enter the morning trash take-out and hey looky there...the eclipse! my camera is just not good in such low light but i shot a shot anyway. :photos: there is nothing in the photo of the deep-red i saw with my eye, but the shot does bear witness to the cover and maybe that new software that can focus any picture can make something better of it in the future.

anyway, no chance for me here in the pnw to see another 'till april of 2014 they say so i have plenty of time to get better prepared for the next eclipse. :P

how many of you saw it? :moon:

• 5 months later...

Given that I am unlikely to live another 117 years, I took the best photo I could of the Venus transit of the Sun. I'm just outside Portland Oregon and the transit is about done so I had to act fast and dirty. I set my exposure to the lowest possible setting and hand-held a filter stack of a red filter for B/W infrared and a polarizing filter. The notch in the upper right of the Sun is Venus. In this case, I figure a bad photo is better than no photo. yada yada yada bleh bleh bleh...here it is. :photos: