Science Forums

Cyrogenics: The Human Popsicle

Queso

I think that once we can flash freeze a human we are on the wrong path. What's the point, unless you want to recreate a Futurama-esque incident. (That show is awesome)

However just freezing a certain area/limb may become a valuable ability, but when it will become viable, who knows? Except, maybe, for those damn bastards down in Area 51, think they're so hot with all their fancy technology... kill them all one day... *mutter* *mutter*.

This thread began in another and it seemed we had an interesting discussion going, so I figured I would weed it out and start one that others would recognize as a cryogenics discussion.

So:

1. What do we think about the science of cryogenics in humans?

2. What science is there out there that illustrates this process already?

3. What hurdles are needed to be overcome before it become a viable process?

4. Are there other theories asisde from using natural methods?

5. Is partial cryogenics a viable option (Such as freezing just the head)?

1. I think its the best option, its certainly better than rotting in the ground because there you have a 0 % of having more chance of life. When you are frozen, everything stops and you stop decaying. SO it doesnt matter if you are in there for 10 year or 100 years, there wont be much difference at all because biology has stopped.

Also you gotta think, A funeral can cost around the same price as being place in cryonics.

2. We have frozen a cats brain and then were able to get the brain active again after thawing. The cats brain was frozen for 9 YEARS.

- As discovered the other we, we have found bacteria that has been frozen for 32 thousand years. Once it was thawd it came back to life and started swimming around

- We know cases of people that have been under icy water for 65 Minutes. They got so cold quickly that everything totally slowed down and the brain didnt need hardly any oxygen. This perserved the brain and stopped damage from occuring.

3. Well we have already done the freezing part, its not perfect but we think its enough to keep the brain well perseved. All we need now is the revival methods... Which will probably come from Nanotechnology sometime in the future ( prob around 30years )

5. Yes partial cryonics is an option, its a good one too because If we have the technology to actually bring someone back to consioussness then Im sure we will be able to get a body for them.

Also remember, Dont call people in cryonics DEAD, they are not dead. The brain doesnt massivly degrade untill around 3 days later. Some of these people entered a cryonics state very quickly and some did not... I do personally believe that cryonics has a chance of working, Although I dont know if they will be the main person... They could end up forgetting everything about their past life - who knows?

Its a shame more people dont go for cryonics when they are terminally ill or something. Atleast with cryonics you have another chance. Although it may be small... its a better chance than being buried

Vitrification Protocol used on Dog

http://www.cryonics.org/reports/Dog_Thor.html

You can read the whole story at the link

Thursday, February 10 the Cryonics Institute perfused the dog of one of our Members, Kevin Boyle. This was the second time we perfused the dog of one of our Members with Dr. Yuri Pichugin's Vitrification Mixture (VM).

Kevin had been ruefully watching the declining health of his beloved dog Thor and had come to the difficult decision to euthanize so as to optimize the conditions of cryopreservation. Thor had a pitiful limp due to worsening degenerative myelopathy in his hind legs. The once powerful dog was down to two-thirds his original weight. As Kevin monitored Thor's condition he struggled to decide when would be the best time to euthanize. Kevin didn't want to lose his companion too soon, but neither did he want to risk an untimely death which would reduce the chance for good cryopreservation

Although we would like to use perfected technique on all of our patients -- animal as well as human -- the fact is that we are making major changes in order to make major progress. Although many new things were tried with Thor, we felt there was reason to believe these would result in greatly improved cryopreservation. We believe that we achieved this, and Thor received the best treatment any CI patient has ever received. Nonetheless we acknowledge that we learned many things which will help us do better next time.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

[As Whoa182 stated, I think we're talking about cryonics not cryogenics.]

1. What do we think about the science of cryogenics in humans?

I think it's interesting to think about the potential for future resuscitation. If you are frozen in death as opposed to life, is there a higher probability of being 'brought around' further into the future as cellular degradation has begun - presumably requiring more sophiticated technology?

2. What science is there out there that illustrates this process already?

Bacteria are commonly 'suspended' so, biology. (It is the age of bateria.)

3. What hurdles are needed to be overcome before it become a viable process?

I think other technologies might become viable before temperature dependent suspension. Maybe computers will become sophisticated to the point where they can gather information as to mimic a person exactly, effectively becoming that person. This may take a philosophical leap on the part of the subject of course! Also, maybe our minds will be 'downloadable' into a computer for preservation after all - we're just information like everything else.

4. Are there other theories asisde from using natural methods?

Natural methods? We're naturally meant to die - our genes are the 'real' existence.

5. Is partial cryogenics a viable option (Such as freezing just the head)?

If the hope is future resuscitation by technologies and beings beyond our comprehension then of course. Hell, just speaking aloud the desire to be 'brought back' may be enough to signal desire to future intelligence.