Science Forums

Carbon sequestering and construction

belovelife

I know through the process of making plastic, co2 is used. Could this be a viable option for the constuction industry. I had a friend in college, named eric, that was working on developing a plastic I beam. Their plastic I beam held alot of weight. Now I'm not sure, but in carbon fibre tecks, you use bonding agent (glue), and carbon fibres. Now if we attached this plastic factory to a coal plant, with filters, could we make plastic fit for the construction industry while being economically feasable.

I know through the process of making plastic, co2 is used. Could this be a viable option for the constuction industry. I had a friend in college, named eric, that was working on developing a plastic I beam. Their plastic I beam held alot of weight. Now I'm not sure, but in carbon fibre tecks, you use bonding agent (glue), and carbon fibres. Now if we attached this plastic factory to a coal plant, with filters, could we make plastic fit for the construction industry while being economically feasable.

I saw at a large Hardware Barn the other day recycled plastic plant stakes, "wooden" posts and other landscaping bits and pieces make from recycled plastic.

Plastic has to be treated to resist UV here otherwise it degrades quickly.

An engineer friend is looking at the possibility of injecting old wooden road bridges with a plasticcy substance to renew the bridges cheaply.

Apparently this is areal problem with the State of N.S.W. alone having thousands of country bridges well past their use-by date. It will require $quillions to replace them all.