Science Forums

[Q] What chemical changes occuor in urine over time.

Michaelangelica

This is a very "unscientific" response. I do not have the education in bio-chemistry, nor the time to fill in the gaps required to accurately answer this question. As no one else has answered, however, I will attempt based on my knowledge of gardening, since this is your intent (I assume).

Urine (of mammals) is mostly composed of urea and is a way for the body to get rid of excess nitrogen.

Urine, when in an aerobic environment, will continue to be a useful source of nitrogen fertilizer. Urine soaked biochar could be considered to be an aerobic environment, as long as the biochar is sufficient to be able to soak up all the urine.

When urine is in an anaerobic environment, the urea is broken down by anaerobes into ammonia. Disease causing bacteria thrive in this environment, and the byproducts are usually unsafe to use for fertilization.

Ultimately, the important thing to remember is that you need to keep the processing of wastes in an aerobic environment. When an anaerobic environment is used, you may end up developing pathogens that require more testing than is easily available for home users.

I agree with Dr. Jones [80's movie reference]. Urea decomposes to ammonia (if you have cats you most likely know this firsthand)... and bacteria grows unchecked. A few more terribly fascinating facts:

Many of the changes that occur in urine stored at room temperature relate to multiplication of bacteria. Preservatives for urinalysis, including refrigeration, generally work by inhibition of bacterial growth. The use of these chemical preservatives result in a specimen that is unsuitable for culture. Changes include an increase in urinary pH as urea is broken down to ammonia. In addition, casts tend to decompose, and red cells undergo hemolysis. Turbidity increases due to the growth of bacteria. The glucose level decreases due to metabolism by bacteria, while nitrates are converted to nitrite through bacteria action.

Other changes include a darkening of the urine color, [once again, firsthand—flatmate not flushing and all] due to oxidation of colorless chromogens such as the oxidation of urobilinogen to urobilin, or a change in color as bilirubin is oxidized to biliverdin. In alkaline urines of a low specific gravity, cells and casts begin to lyse. Leukocytes are especially subject to lysis as the urine stands at room temperature. If urine specimens contain glucose, the presence of leukocytes will result in decreased levels of glucose due to metabolism by the cells. If ketones are present, the level will decrease as acetone is converted to water and carbon dioxide or the ketone volatilizes.

Preserving routine urine specimens, documentation of normal flora, and quantitative body fluid counts. (Tips from the Clinical Experts). | Goliath Business News

I'm not sure what you're wanting to do, Michael, and I'm not too sure I want to ask, but if you're looking to neutralize urine they do sell urine bags for camping that has a powder that turns your urine into some kind of biodegradable gel. Come to think of it... the stuff they put in baby's diapers does the same thing. You might look up what that is.

~modest

• 11 years later...

Hi

I notice if i leave my urine in the toilet bowl it develops a rainbow film across the water surface (and this happens within a few hours) and its happening regularly. It also smells fishy if i leave it a day and black mold develops on any tissue left and around the ring. Is this anything to worry about, is it just bacteria in the toilet? I do clean my toilet. Thanks