Science Forums

Whats with the beta and gamma moderators?

Kriminal99

I don't understand what the deal is with the class of people that have been chosen to moderate these forums.

The types of things that are discussed here require the same level of objectivity to discuss as one would expect the most capable academics to observe when interacting with people that disagree with their claims.

Imagine someone intruding on such a discourse to pound their fists on the table and yell "That's stupid!" to every other claim made by one side or the other. Or a person of the same mind trying to hide their lack of knowledge by only implying they had a counter argument (but they can't be bothered to share it) using sarcasm or other indirect, passive agressive, and chaotic means of influencing the debate.

Sure these people are bound to be on the internet, but you didn't have to make them moderators just because they like to hang around the forums more than anyone else.

Even if you just plan to give them the ability to keep people from using vulgar words towards one another, they will cause all kinds of problems. They go from there to interpretting all hostilities as vulgarities, then to antagonizing people they disagree with using hostile and passive agressive tactics and then calling responses to such childish behavior hostile and a violation of the rules...

• 3 weeks later...

Relative to the class of people involved in the REAL academic community, I feel like you've taken the special needs kids and given them the "important" job of moderating the forums.

People are people, and with extreme effort you can convince just about anyone of the best way of handling things. But the smarter people are the more they figure out on their own. The moderators here are just really behind the curve in terms of emotional maturity, debate ethics etc. They frequently debate with a chip on their shoulder, often flinging insults rather than just making their case.

Then they reinterpret nothing more than claiming the opposite of what they say as "aggressive behavior" and use their mod status to attack other posters.

Even more representative of what I am talking about is the bogus rep system.

Relative to the class of people involved in the REAL academic community, I feel like you've taken the special needs kids and given them the "important" job of moderating the forums.

as a parent of a child who is labeled "special needs" i find this very offensive.Do you feel they are LESS THAN? well....I have a wonderful son who is very kind and respectful to others and doesn't make them feel "less than". As a matter of fact, his ever growing knowledge of medicine, forensics, and LOVE of anything having to do with magnetics( just like his mom), will some day put him as a member of this forum.

Yeah, Krim, people are people.... we all make mistakes, have been mean and have been kind. We are not perfect, take it light