Science Forums

Herniated Disk

I know it's anecdotal but from what I've experienced I've found that the muscle relaxer "soma" works better than oxycodone for taking that extreme burning feeling off the ragged edge of pain. From my experience it is important to know that total pain relief is usually impossible and the best you can hope for is to make it tolerable. Taking that burning edge off the pain is very important in being able to tolerate the pain.

In such cases, over-the-counter meds that’re more muscle relaxant than anti-inflammatory, such as Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) rather than aspirin can be more effective (though, unlike aspirin, should not be used for long periods).

I just looked over my bottle of generic ibuprofen and it says it is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug. :hihi:

What do you mean by "more muscle relaxant that anti-inflammatory"?

I know it's anecdotal but from what I've experienced I've found that the muscle relaxer "soma" works better than oxycodone for taking that extreme burning feeling off the ragged edge of pain. From my experience it is important to know that total pain relief is usually impossible and the best you can hope for is to make it tolerable. Taking that burning edge off the pain is very important in being able to tolerate the pain.

I agree. The pain never really goes away.

I would try soma, but again, no insurance.