Science Forums

Global Warming-Are we too late to reverse the course

somya1

There are catastrophic changes occurring in the environment and we humans are responsible for this. We’re exploiting natural resources which are gradually coming to an end. Guys its high time we think of methods that will help us preserve Mother Nature.

The people who are concered about the environment try and help in any way they can, I know I do my part. Recycling, biking in the summer,etc. But yea we need a different renewable fuel source. It really bothers me that car companies are increasing gas milage in cars gradually. In the 70's some car company developed a 100 MPG car. Then they scrapped it because they thought it wouldnt sell or something like that. Its not that we dont have the technology to reverse it, its that we dont WANT to reverse it. Oil companies will fight us every step of the way to eliminate gas. I know in boston they are starting a bike rental service, where you pick up a bike in one part of town then when you reach you destination you drop it off at a closer one. I think If we can get everybody in the cities to bike instead of drive, then we can reduce most of the damage the city has on people and animals. The three times I went to new york I had never felt so unclean.

The problem is that no one wants to take time out of their "busy" day to separate their recyclables from their regular garbage. Recycling facilites dont take certain types of plastic which means people in those areas throw out those plastics. Some people dont understand that CRT moniters have Mecury and other harmful chemicals in them and leave them out on the curb even when the trash companies refuse to pick them up.

Have you seen that commercial for the water filter? "48 minutes in traffic, forever in a landfill". We need to use reusable water bottles. I remember when the schools used washable trays for lunch, now all they use is this styrofoam crap.

I volunteer at the MSPCA and yesterday I noticed that there was a ton of trash in the road leading to the MSPCA becuase you couldnt see it when the snow was there. It took 2 1/2 of those force flex bags (they dont stand up as easily as they say then do) to clean up everything on the roadside then I went through the trash and found the recyclables, cans and stuff.

If everyone did something like this then the world would be a bit cleaner.

What are the chances, if we've "woken up" in time, that we can stop pouring carbon into the air?

Notwithstanding the human paradigm is 'progress and development', which means we generally ignore the mess, until it gets big enough, or smelly enough? Can we prevent our success from causing our untimely demise from our ability to "successfully" exploit pretty much everything? Our ability to do this has increased more or less exponentially over the last couple of centuries, with a corresponding population increase that places more stress on those resources, which seems like a one-way journey to: "all gone, you need to find a new planet somewhere..."

Then again, without the industry and technology, would we be where or have what we "want"?

How many natural resources, animal vegetable or mineral, are still beyond our reach on planet Earth? Is it just a matter of being able to 'develop' in a way that doesn't use resources too quickly, so there aren't any left for future humans (or any other large animals, particularly the ones that don't swim or fly around)?