Science Forums

Human mind is the Universe

tarak

Dear friends,

Our mind is our universe.It is an operating system and a software which runs our hard ware.The difference is our software is autocontrolled and self sutainable in exclusion.It is adaptable and works according to the rules of the game of a larger cumulative software of the world and believes certain assumptions.

I donot feel that our brain is exclusive piece of hardware and every process of thinking occurs inside it.it is obvious there is a cephalic concentration of nervous tissue and the nerves that are wired in our entire body have to be looked as a holistic integrated operating system of thought and life.

• 6 months later...

Every individual lives within his/her own mind, and that individual's mind constitutes the universe in which that person resides.

Some contains flat earths, some contains supernatural beings, some contains fairies and dwarves. We, as subjective human beings, cannot criticize anybody else's illusions, seeing as we're all suffering from our own. Who knows who's right in these matters?

The only possible Truth is that broad line which intersects everybody's realities, regardless of the sensitive nature of your specific personal delusion.

Scientific Truth.

Science, being testable, can blow your delusions out of the water. Science can prove to you that the Earth is neither flat, nor tied to the back of a huge turtle. The way Science works, is to describe a universal reality to individuals suffering from thousands of differing world views, and views of reality in general. It's impersonal, and not very sensitive, to be sure, and an individual might feel angry at having his or her personal beliefs blown out of the water, but hey - knowing the impersonal, objective Truth isn't such a bad thing altogether, is it? What we should not do, however, is to attach a personal identity to science. If science isn't in agreement with your specific beliefs, don't attack science - it's not a planned mechanism to erode specific beliefs. It's just the way it works. Science didn't consciously decide to attack your Belief/Religion, the method through which it operates just makes it possible for that perception to be created.

Universe = Function[ Space-Time, Energy-Mass ]

How can we possibly hypothese that human mind = Universe ?

Perhaps Mind = Universe , because we still do not understand what's really mind = consciousness = spirit is it ?

Emessay I was surprised to see a reply to this thread...Its been a long time I posted some of my ideas on human mind.I donno what I was upto then...Anyway what I meant here was if our entire universe is experienced/felt within the limits of nervous system (CNS+PNS+PSNS) aided by other body hardware,then this human mind(The Operating System on the hardware) should exist as an integration process of all those faculties to stand as platform and a reference point for an individual's existence.Naturally an individual's universe is within one's mind.We feel an almost similar universe from a multitude of our experiences and therefore we are fellow human beings.........

science is a system designed by beings that perceive and therefore its objectivity and 'truth' are bound to the limitations of subjective perception. how can one know if science reflects any truth outside of one's own mind when all of the data and correlations are tallied by one's own mind. does the universe validate our mathematics because of universal truth or because the template of mathematics and the universe must be perceived thus to fit a collective 'delusion' we take as reality/nature? :Waldo:

With science, if data is reproduceable than the data reflects reality. In other words, irregardless of one's subjectivity, if one ran an experiment and achieved the same results as somebody else with a different underlying subjectivity, then we have reached the common ground of reality. Statistical studies are a little more subjective since the experiments are not often repeatable, except with a range, and the same data can be used to support alternate subjective theories. Statisitcal is something between rational and subjective and should be seen as such. Mathematics is consistent within itself, in that the same results are repeatable. However, reality predictions stemming from mathematics may not always reflect objective reality and may contain a level of subjectivity. For example, the many dimensions of string theory are consistent with the math, but lack repeatable proof in reality.

I believe Tarak is venturing in to the philosophical domain of Phenomenalism.

While The wikipedia article “Phenomenalism” gives an adequate, dispassionate description, I personally feel that the finest English language expression of phenomenalism is contained in the 1974 movie “Dark Star”. Alas, the IMDB memorable quotes page for it is missing some key dialog. I recommend that serious students of Philosophy who have not already done so either watch the movie, or read it’s script.

Our mind is our universe.It is an operating system and a software which runs our hard ware.

That is so sad. Human creativity gives lie to your second statement. Mind - which is what a brain does - is not deterministic. As for your first, physical reality exceeds perception. No culture without mathematics is more than reproducing animals. No culture without written language has a past. Humans live, not exist. To degrade Homo sapien to a mechanistic exercise is to embrace god. The thinking rest of us create our own futures filled with danger and wonderment, all beyond imagination at any given moment.

Nowhere in all of science fiction did the hand calculator, desktop computer, Internet, e-mail, cell phones, CDs, DvDs... arise first. Humanity cannot imagine its own future, it can only create it.

science is a system designed by beings that perceive and therefore its objectivity and 'truth' are bound to the limitations of subjective perception. how can one know if science reflects any truth outside of one's own mind when all of the data and correlations are tallied by one's own mind. does the universe validate our mathematics because of universal truth or because the template of mathematics and the universe must be perceived thus to fit a collective 'delusion' we take as reality/nature? :hyper:

"I like to think that the moon is there even if I am not looking at it"

Albert Einstein

http://www.iep.utm.edu/s/solipsis.htm

Solipsism is sometimes expressed as the view that 'I am the only mind which exists', or 'My mental states are the only mental states'. However, the sole survivor of a nuclear holocaust might truly come to believe in either of these propositions without thereby being a solipsist. Solipsism is therefore more properly regarded as the doctrine that, in principle, 'existence' means for me my existence and that of my mental states. In other words, everything which I experience - physical objects, other people, events and processes, in short, anything which would commonly be regarded as a constituent of the spatio-temporal matrix in which I coexist with others - is necessarily construed by me as part of the content of my consciousness. For the solipsist, it is not merely the case that he believes that his thoughts, experiences, and emotions are, as a matter of contingent fact, the only thoughts, experiences, and emotions. Rather, the solipsist can attach no meaning to the supposition that there could be thoughts, experiences, and emotions other than his own. In short, the true solipsist understands the word 'pain', for example, to mean 'my pain' - he cannot accordingly conceive how this word is to be applied in any sense other than this exclusively egocentric one.

Such a viewpoint is properly viewed as PSYCHOTIC.

Best regards;

Solipsism…
Such a viewpoint is properly viewed as PSYCHOTIC.
I must admit the quote you found does come across as a crazy as Dwayne Hoover in Vonegut’s “Breakfast of Champions.” Still, characterising solipsism as simply non-reality-based, is, I think, inaccurate and an oversimplification.

Taken to its extreme, skepticism, an essential tool of sound thinking, can logically lead to solipsism, as the conclusion that the sensations one perceives correspond to some external reality independent of one’s own consciousness is, in a small and common way, accepting a logical postulate, that is comitting an act of faith. An overly extreme skeptic might refuse to accept such an assuption. And, as a postulate, the existence of external reality appears to be unprovable, since any proof must involve evidence obtained throught the senses one is arguing reveal it, and is thus circular.

Of course, very few people are such extreme skeptics. Also, the position that solipsism is possible has been undermined in the past century, I think, by increases in the understanding of automatic algorithms (computing) and neurology. A century ago, the human mind seemed a perhaps infinitely powerful engine, possibly capable of manufacturing all of the sensation one perceives. Now, as we are beginning to be able to assigning numbers to it, equating it with mechanical computing devices, that it could perform such a simulation seems less believable.

I must admit the quote you found does come across as a crazy as Dwayne Hoover in Vonegut’s “Breakfast of Champions.” Still, characterising solipsism as simply non-reality-based, is, I think, inaccurate and an oversimplification.

<snip>

Of course, very few people are such extreme skeptics.

<snip>

Now, as we are beginning to be able to assigning numbers to it, equating it with mechanical computing devices, that it could perform such a simulation seems less believable.

I agree with you in most particulars........

However there is this in progress;

http://hypography.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4060

which illustrates exactly why extreme solopsism is called a psychosis.

The lack of a balanced and reasonable rationalism that admits to a reality external to oneself 's pov is craziness incarnate. That one cannot address the profound evidence/information that hits one's senses that other people are out there and that they have as much right to the proven truth; which they defend with reason as you have,(or have not) indicates an inflexibility of mind that is unhealthy. To demand that the imagined others conform to your "central selfish truth" and then allow yourself to become angered when they(the real others) show a reasoned result that turns dexter instead of your preferred direction of sinister is somewhat indicative of what I illustrated above..

But I digress.

I believe evidence suggests the mind is limited by its physiology.

I believe evidence suggests that there is no extra-physical manifestation of the human animal that cannot be explained by electro-chemistry within the human animal.

I know the evidence of my senses informs me that other people are real with real minds behind their eyes when I look at their faces.

I don't see a mind when I look at a dog. I suspect that it has to do with the body language of the self aware human animal, for I have noticed the animal like body language of the three examples of humans I've met with destroyed minds and the body language to my eye was amazingly similar in carriage as to that of my pet. In country speech, you could look into their eyes(the mindless people) and see nobody was home.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I believe evidence suggests unclear thinking in the human animal is based on fear of the unknown, as well as a certain individual reluctance to admit that others have a pov equivalent to your own that is of equal merit as long as that pov is a rational one

I know my rationalism is subject to self-test constantly.

And I know that one of the test of my rationalism is how generous I am to imagine the other's point of view and concede its correctness when that pov is more valid than my own.

Such as in the case you present when you argue that in general solopsism is not equal to psychosis.

Only in the extreme case is this so.

Best regards;

I believe Tarak is venturing in to the philosophical domain of Phenomenalism.

Thanks Craig for giving a reference to my feeling...But I donot subscribe to phenomenalism..(There's no reason to think an external world exists" – reply, "Well, no, I guess there isn't any reason to think that an external world exists. All there is, is sense-data. Physical objects are bundles of sense-data. When I hold up my hand, and I see it, I'm not seeing something external to my mind; I'm seeing a series, a whole bundle, of hand sense-data, and there is no hand apart from those hand sense-data. That's what my hand is – a bundle of sense-data."-Wikipedia article).

My simple observation is linked to the comparison of mind to the energetic ambience and order created when the hardware is booted to the stimulate an operating system software.All this happened after I wa trying to understand what the "Matrix "-trilogy was trying to say...

But our software is highly flexible and with a complicated architechture....It is not reducing anything to something but Only a way of thinking...

• 3 weeks later...
Dear friends,

Our mind is our universe.It is an operating system and a software which runs our hard ware.The difference is our software is autocontrolled and self sutainable in exclusion.It is adaptable and works according to the rules of the game of a larger cumulative software of the world and believes certain assumptions.

I donot feel that our brain is exclusive piece of hardware and every process of thinking occurs inside it.it is obvious there is a cephalic concentration of nervous tissue and the nerves that are wired in our entire body have to be looked as a holistic integrated operating system of thought and life.

It is using ME then? :)